Log in or Register
Dunston 2
Pearson (33'), Maskell (63')
2 Stocksbridge Park Steels
Poole (17'), Oglesby (80')

REPORT | Dunston UTS 2 Stocksbridge Park Steels 2

Dunston were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Stocksbridge Park Steels, in a game held at Consett's Belle View Stadium. 

The visitors took the lead on 17 minutes when Tomas Poole curled a free kick into the top corner from distance. Dale Pearson levelled the game up 15 minutes later. Jack Maskell then added to his tally for the season just after the hour-mark to give Dunston the lead for the first time. 

However, a header from Charlie Oglesby with ten minutes to go earned Stocksbridge a deserved point.

Despite the four goals, it was far from a classic and it was a rather cagey start to the encounter with neither side looking at their best. The best chance in the opening ten minutes came when Dale Pearson slid the ball across the six-yard box, but it evaded everyone, and The Steels were able to clear their lines.

The visitors were then awarded a free kick just after the quarter-hour mark. Tomas Poole stepped up and bent the ball over the wall and into the top corner to give Stocksbridge the lead in spectacular circumstances. 

Dunston struggled to get going however, a golden chance came on 25 minutes when Phil Turnbull played in a pinpoint corner towards Jack Maskell at the back post, but the latter's header was off target.

The equaliser came shortly after through Dale Pearson. JJ Chrisp played a through ball towards Pearson, and it looked as if Stocksbridge 'keeper Ben Townsend had it covered, but he misjudged the ball and Pearson converted into the empty net. Dunston arguably should have then taken the lead on the stroke of half-time as Pearson was teed up by David Robinson, but he misplaced his effort wide of the post.

The second forty-five began just as cagey as the first. Stocksbridge came close early on when Chris McDonald was forced to clear the ball off his own line after a headed effort from the visitors.

Out of nowhere, Dunston took the lead with just over an hour played through the in-form Jack Maskell. It was Dunston's first effort of the half as Jordan Lamb did superbly to keep the ball alive. He knocked the ball back across the six-yard box where Maskell was able to tidy up from close-range.

Dunston went searching for the third goal to give themselves a cushion, but it didn't seem to be coming. JJ Chrisp took aim from the edge of the area, but his dipping effort was always going over the crossbar. 

The one goal lead for Dunston wasn't enough as Stocksbridge found a leveller through their perseverance. A corner delivery wasn't dealt with and the unmarked Charlie Oglesby headed home to give the visitors a deserved equaliser.

With five minutes of stoppage time indicated, The Steels were looking the most likely to go on and grab a winner. Oglesby almost nodded home for the second time, but this time his header was always rising off target. 

The point sees Dunston make it four games unbeaten, and climb the league table to second place.

By Callum Pattison 

Image Credit - Beauty Time Photography

Published Tuesday 5th March 2024