Log in or Register

Match Report: Mossley AFC (A)

Dunston secured entry into the next round of the Isuzu FA Trophy with a hard fought 2-1 victory away at Mossley. Two first half goals from Terry Galbraith and Michael Fowler put Chris Swailes' side in control of the game, and Dunston held off a late fight back from the hosts to move forward in the competition.

Dunston raced out of the traps and had a number of chances within the first ten minutes of the match. First Liam Thear curled an effort just wide having done well to shift the ball onto his right foot and strike an effort goalward, before Sadó Djaló dragged a shot just wide of the mark.

The early pressure paid off on twelve minutes when centre back Terry Galbraith rose highest from an in-swinging corner to power a header in off the post. It was a deserved lead for the visitors which rocked the hosts, who had started strongly in their league campaign in the West Division.

Things nearly got better for Dunston just a few minutes after taking the lead, this time, only goalkeeper Tom Watson had to pull off a smart save to deny in-form Michael Fowler. Next it was Richie Coulson who came close to doubling the lead, only for Watson to make another big save one-on-one to keep his side just a goal down. 

Dunston were enjoying themselves in Greater Manchester, but were given a reminder on thirty four minutes when Oumar Camara hit the bar from 25 yards out, and followed up the rebound which hit the post. 

Watson pulled off another superb save on thirty eight minutes, tipping over a Phil Turnbull free kick that was bound for the top corner. With half time approaching, Dunston took compete control of the game when Michael Fowler doubled the lead. The forward latched onto a Sadó Djaló flick on to prod home past Watson and send the travelling Dunston fans into raptures.

Dunston started the second half in much the same manner as they had the first, with scintillating, free flowing attacking football. Michael Fowler had a shot saved at the near post as the visitors pushed for a third, capitalising off good work from Liam Thear down the wing.

On fifty seven minutes however, the hosts received a lifeline when they were handed a penalty, the ball adjudged to have the struck the arm of Terry Galbraith from a cross. 

This goal didn't knock Chris Swailes' side overly, and they continued to play the way that had shown them much success for large portions of the game. Watson made another good save to deny Coulson a second time, before Will Jenkins curled an effort over as the game entered it's final ten minutes.

Dan Staples, who had had a very quiet game up until this point, was called into action on a number of occasion to preserve Dunston's lead. First, the stopper made a superb low save, before he stopped centre half Freddie Sass to book Dunston's place in the next round of the competition.

Dunston will now travel to Bootle in the Second Round Qualifying stage of the competition, with the tie to be played on Saturday 24th September.

Published Tuesday 13th September 2022