Log in or Register

Match report: Dunston FC vs Birtley Town

Birtley match 2

A second half Fitzy hat-trick sees Dunston FC come out on top in a 9 goal thriller.


Dunston FC’s Mark Fitzpatrick was on fire at The UTS Stadium against Northern League 2nd Division side Birtley Town last night, with last season’s leading scoring putting in a superb second half performance. Trailing 2-3 at half time, Dunston turned it round in the second half with the score-line finishing at 6-3.

The pre-season friendly had been switched to The UTS Stadium at short notice and was played behind closed doors, with the game being live streamed on the Clubs Facebook page; those who tuned in were treat to a fully engrossing game.

Jake Stafford (pictured above) opened the scoring for Dunston on 12 minutes. That lead lasted all of 9 minutes as Chad Collins equalised for The Hoops, the same player was to give his side the lead 3 minutes later. Scott Heslop put Dunston level on 32 minutes, finding the net from close range as the ball cannoned off the Birtley Town post. Sam Dinsley put Birtley Town back in front on 38 minutes, stealing the ball from Connells feet to tap into an empty net.

With Birtley Town leading at half-time, whatever was said during the interval by manager Chris Swailes worked. Both sides made plenty of substitutions for the second half, however it was the introduction of Fitzpatrick that changed the course of the game.

Fitzy levelled the game on 53 minutes, following a great run from Ursene Mouanda, 5 minutes later Michael Pearson (pictured below) gave Dunston FC the lead.

With only 5 minutes remaining, Fitzpatrick unleased a 20 yard rocket of a shot, nestling in top corner and completed his hat-trick 3 minutes later, delicately dinking his shot over an advancing keeper.

Dunston FC's next fixture is away to Newcastle Benfield on 22nd August 3pm kick-off. We face Blyth Spartans at home on the 28th August with a 19:45 kick-off.

Images courtesy of Beauty Time Photography.

Published Wednesday 19th August 2020