Log in or Register
Liversedge 2
Wollerton (71'), Harris (89')
1 Dunston
Pearson (87' pen)

REPORT | Liversedge 2-1 Dunston UTS

The unbeaten run ends at eleven games as Dunston were defeated 2-1 away at Liversedge.

Dale Pearson pulled Dunston level from the penalty spot in the 87th minute however, an 89th minute header from Kurt Harris won the game for Liversedge, as Dunston drop to fourth in the league table.

Jon McDonald made changes to his squad from the 4-1 win against Ashington two weeks ago. Luke Carr returned to the starting line-up in place of the injured captain Michael Pearson. Dale Pearson and Richard Coulson also returned to the bench after missing out two weeks ago. Young prospect Dom Pegram was also named amongst the substitutes.

After just three minutes, Dunston were unlucky not to take the lead as Jack Maskell  was picked out by Craig Baxter, but Maskell’s header was tipped over the crossbar by Jordan Porter with an excellent save.

The young forward found himself through on goal again just after the quarter-hour mark. He dinked an effort wide after racing onto a through ball however, the assistant raised his flag for an offside.

Liversedge, who began the day in 13th, carved out their best chance of the game with just over 20 minutes played. Left winger Jack Carr was played in behind the Dunston defence by Wollerton, however, after going one-on-one with Staples, he placed his effort wide.

Just minutes later, Liversedge goalkeeper Jordan Porter produced even more heroics denying Jack Maskell what looked like a certain goal. A Maskell header looked to be creeping into the bottom corner however, a miraculous fingertip save from Porter pushed the ball around the post.

Joe Walton then had the ball in the net for the home side as Joe Walton slotted the ball past Staples after another accurate pass by Wollerton. Fortunately for Dunston, the flag was raised for another offside.

Maskell continued to show endeavour after being denied by two excellent saves by Porter and he once again tried his luck just before the half-time break as he dragged an effort wide.

The opening couple of minutes of the second half was almost a carbon copy of the first half as Jack Maskell was again denied by Porter as he tipped the headed effort over the bar. 

Dunston failed to get on top in the game and, as the second half progressed, the home side were beginning to look more likely as Eddie Church sent a couple of shots off target.

The persistence of Liversedge was rewarded on 71 minutes as they capitalised on an uncharacteristic mistake at the back from Dunston. A slack touch from Phil Turnbull in the direction of Staples was pounced on by Wollerton, who had the simple task of finishing into the empty net.

With Dunston behind, Maskell again was denied by Porter as he claimed another headed shot, and then he made another save denying Jude Swailes from a corner.

It looked like Jordan Porter wasn’t going to be beaten however, Dusnton were awarded a penalty with three minutes of the ninety to go for a handball. Dale Pearson stepped up and slammed the ball into the bottom corner for his thirteenth of the season.

Despite the equaliser, Dunston were once again punished just two minutes later. A looping corner towards the back post wasn’t dealt with and Kurt Harris was there to nod home to win the game for Liversedge.

Next up for Dunston is the long away trip to Grantham Town are Tuesday night.

Published Saturday 17th February 2024