Log in or Register
Hebburn Town 4
Purewal (11', 50' pen), Briggs (64', 90'+5)
0 Dunston

REPORT | Hebburn Town 4 Dunston UTS 0

It was back-to-back league defeats for the first time this season as Hebburn Town put four past Dunston at Hebburn Sports Ground.

Braces from Amar Purewal and Dean Briggs saw Hebburn cruise to victory. David Robinson was also dismissed in the second half for two bookable offences.

Jon McDonald made two changes from Saturday's defeat against Carlton Town at Craik Park. Richard Coulson returned to the starting line-up in place of Sado Djalo. The other change was a forced one as Aaron Steavens came in for the injured Dan Staples between the sticks.

The first real chance of the game came on 12 minutes when The Hornets took the lead. Purewal raced onto a ball over the top of the Dunston defence, went around Steavens, and kept his cool to slot home the opener.

With the home side largely in control, Dunston failed to create too much in front of goal as nothing was coming off. A Phil Turnbull ball into the box just evaded the head of Jack Walker which could have turned the game around.

Jude Swailes was then caught late by Jack Donaghy and unfortunately could not continue. He was subsequently replaced by JJ Chrisp, with Michael Pearson slotting into the back four. The final chance of the lackluster first half fell to the hosts as Heywood drove down the right before firing an effort well off target.

The second half got off to the worst possible start as Jack Walker brought down Dean Briggs inside the area. Purewal stepped up and punished Dunston as he rifled his penalty past Steavens to give his side a two-goal cushion.

Dunston's best two chances of the game then followed in quick succession, both through Dale Pearson. The left forward burst through the Hebburn defence before blasting an effort into the side netting. Minutes later, he came close again as he pulled a left-footed effort agonisingly wide of the far post.

The evening then became even worse just after the hour mark. David Robinson, who had already been booked, was shown a second yellow card for a foul on a Hebburn defender. Dunston down to ten men for the first time since August.

Four minutes after the red card, Hebburn added a third as Dean Briggs fired a low effort across goal which snuck into the bottom corner.

There were five minutes of stoppage time added on and Hebburn should have added a fourth as JJ Chrisp was dispossessed in midfield and Murray raced through on goal before chipping an effort over the bar.

The fourth goal finally came for The Hornets a few minutes later with virtually the last kick of the game. Briggs grabbed his second as he smashed a thunderous effort past Steavens and into the top corner.

Report by Callum Pattison

Photo Credit - Beauty Time Photography

Published Wednesday 27th March 2024