Log in or Register
Grimsby Borough 1
Hipwell (45')
2 Dunston
Lamb (41'), Walker (53')

REPORT | Grimsby Borough 1-2 Dunston UTS

Dunston travelled to Grimsby for a first game in three weeks, with back-to-back home games against Grantham & Sheffield postponed due to the rainy Northern weather. This meant that Dunston came into today’s game on the back of a winless October, with two draws and two losses in all competitions. The hosts came into the game on the back of three losses, seeking their first win since a 4-0 hammering of Sheffield at the beginning of last month.

The game started quietly with both sides having a chance within ten minutes. For Dunston, a ball was able to reach Jack Maskell but his eventual effort was a comfortable height for goalkeeper Liam Higton. Jack Richardson then had Grimsby’s first chance as he put an effort wide of Dan Staples’ post.

Jon McDonald’s men then had a flurry of chances but just couldn’t break the deadlock. Richard Coulson had a one-on-one effort saved, before the resulting corner was turned narrowly over the Grimsby Borough crossbar by David Robinson. Liam Higton was continuously tested, making a good save to tip a powerful Chris McDonald shot over the bar.

The game was starting to look like one of those where Dunston just couldn’t finish their chances. But on forty-one minutes, Jordan Lamb took matters into his own hands. The ball fell to the New Zealander who strook gold with a drilled effort towards goal, which deflected into the bottom corner.

Despite finally capitalising on their dominance, Dunston let Grimsby straight back into the game with an easy goal to level the score. Thomas Hipwell nodded home at the back post from an Adam Drury corner, meaning half-time came with the score at 1-1.

However, it wasn’t long into the second half that Dunston’s initial lead was regained. Jack Walker scored his first goal in Dunston colours, with a scrappy, deflected header from a set piece.

The remainder of the second forty-five was quiet until the final ten minutes. Dunston, having had a poor record of maintaining leads late on in recent games, would’ve been nervous heading into the final stretch as The Wilderness Boys started to pile on the pressure. Sam Topliss came incredibly close with a long-range strike before the hosts had a double chance which thankfully ended with a Dan Staples goal kick.

Despite the pressure, substitute Dale Pearson nearly wrapped it up at the death, after being played in on goal by a threaded through ball. Liam Higton’s legs denied him from hitting double figures for goals this season. Dunston managed to hold on and came away with a crucial three points.

The result puts Dunston back in contention for the play-off spots, sitting three points away from Pontefract in fifth place, with an extra game in hand.

Written by Adam Richardson

Photo credit - Beauty Time Photography

Published Saturday 11th November 2023