Log in or Register
Dunston 2
Robinson (45'+3, 88')
0 Pontefract Collieries

REPORT | Dunston UTS 2 Pontefract Collieries 0

Dunston got back to winning ways with a superb 2-0 win against Pontefract Collieries in a massive play-off six-pointer. Two goals from David Robinson at the end of either half saw Dunston claim all three points.

Jon McDonald made one change from the starting XI that drew 1-1 away at Grantham on Tuesday night. Chris McDonald returned to the side in place of Luke Carr, with JJ Chrisp moving into the midfield. New signing Wayne Phillips was amongst the substitutes alongside youngster Dom Pegram.

The first effort of the game came from the visitors as Gavin Rothery fired an effort into the arms of Dan Staples after seven minutes. Dunston's first sight of goal came on nine minutes when Jack Maskell blazed an effort over the bar from the edge of the box.

Dunston continued to ramp up the pressure and came close on 15 minutes as Maskell was involved again. The centre forward leapt high and flicked the ball over Allinson's head, before Jack Steers hacked the ball away off the line to prevent a certain goal.

Just a minute later, the post denied Dunston the opening goal as Phil Turnbull delivered the ball into the box, and a Pontefract head flicked the ball onto the inside of the post before the danger was cleared.

As we approached the end of the half, Pontefract 'keeper Allinson arguably should have been shown a straight red. Allinson raced off his line, which he did a lot throughout the game, and made contact with Maskell who was closing him down. However, the foul was awarded the other way.

The centre half partnership of Jude Swailes and Jack Walker was once again solid throughout and they almost combined at the other end of the pitch. Following a delivery into the box, Swailes nodded the ball back across the six-yard box at the back post however, Walker's effort on the stretch drifted wide.

In first half stoppage time, Dunston finally took the lead as David Robinson netted in outrageous circumstances. Djalo flicked the ball into the path of Robinson, and the latter spotted Allinson off his line and lobbed him from 40-yards out.

The second half took a little bit more time to get going with neither side carving out any real chances on goal until Jack Vann ballooned an effort into the car park on the hour-mark for the visitors.

Jon McDonald made his first change of the afternoon as Wayne Phillips made his debut with 20 minutes to go, replacing JJ Chrisp who hobbled off after taking a knock. Both sides then came close in the space of two minutes with a quarter of an hour to go. First, The Colls' duo of Nicell and Thompson had close-range efforts blocked before Djalo was able to get the ball out of danger. 

One minute later, Maskell just about kept the ball in play and, with Allinson once again off his line, he pulled the ball back to Djalo who was not able to convert. 

Dunston continued to search for the all-important second goal to put the game to bed. With ten minutes to go, Robinson came close as he flicked a headed effort wide following a Wayne Phillips free kick.

With 89 minutes on the clock, the lead was finally doubled as David Robinson bagged his second of the game, and his eleventh of the season. Jack Maskell did excellently as he fended off a couple of challenges before pulling the ball back for Robinson who fired home.

With just seconds remaining, Jude Swailes acrobatically cleared the ball off the line to preserve the clean sheet. Next up for Dunston is another home game this Wednesday evening, as we welcome Sheffield FC to The UTS Stadium.

Report by Callum Pattison

Image Credit - Beauty Time Photography

Published Saturday 24th February 2024