Log in or Register
Dunston 3
Maskell (10', 90'), Pearson (67')
1 Bridlington Town
Norfolk (35')

REPORT | Dunston UTS 3 Bridlington Town 1

Maskell opened the scoring after just ten minutes before Bridlington levelled the game ten minutes before half-time through Andy Norfolk.

Dale Pearson fired Dunston back into the lead after 67 minutes before Maskell added the final blow deep into stoppage time to secure the three points.

It was lively start from Dunston as they looked to start in the right way with both Phil Turnbull and Luke Carr getting shots away in the opening five minutes.

Jack Maskell then broke the deadlock on ten minutes after a pinpoint cross from Craig Baxter was headed into the top corner by Maskell. The perfect start.

Dunston continued to show signs of real quality and the lead was almost doubled on 26 minutes. Some Brazil-like build-up play resulted in the ball being flicked through to David Robinson however, his shot was pushed wide of the post.

Despite the positive start, The Seasiders levelled the game on 35 minutes. Phil Turnbull was caught in possession 25-yards out, and Andy Norfolk drilled a low shot from distance into the bottom corner.

Despite the setback before half-time, Dunston came out with real intent for the second half and began in the same manner as they did for the first half.

Just one minute into the half, a scooped Phil Turnbull free kick was met by Maskell however, the latter’s effort was guided past the post.

Six minutes later, Chris McDonald nearly scored an outrageous goal as he cut in onto his right foot and curled a dipping long-range effort just over the bar.

Dunston had to remain switched on at the back, and they did exactly that as Bridlington threatened on 55 minutes. However, two huge blocks from Jude Swailes and Michael Pearson kept the score level.

On 58 minutes, it was again Dunston who came close to restoring the lead. A through ball from Carr found Maskell, but his shot from the tight angle was tipped around the post by Hitchcock.

From the resulting corner, Djalo’s headed effort was cleared off the line before McDonald lashed a shot over the bar on the rebound.

After pushing for the all-important third goal, Dunston were finally rewarded on 67 minutes through Dale Pearson. Baxter delivered another superb cross into the box from the right and Djalo’s header was clawed away by Hitchcock, but Pearson was there to stab home the rebound.

New signing Jordan Lamb was introduced after the goal and the Kiwi forward made an instant impact. Some excellent work down the right by Lamb and he teed up Carr who dragged an effort past the post.

Into the final stages of the game, Dan Staples was called into action and had to produce a double save to keep Dunston ahead. Seconds after, up the other end, Jack Maskell was played through by Lamb, but the shot on goal was slammed into the side netting.

The relief finally sank in deep into stoppage time as the game was wrapped up with Maskell notching his second. Hitchcock was caught out of his penalty area and, despite the appeals from the Bridlington players that their ‘keeper was being obstructed, Maskell was there to place the ball into the empty net.

Full-Time, and Dunston take all three points. Attention now turns to Tuesday where we make the long trip to Ossett.

Report by Callum Pattison

Image Credit: Beauty Time Photography

Published Wednesday 16th August 2023