Log in or Register
Belper Town 3
Watt (45', 61'), Bastos (47')
4 Dunston
Pearson (17' pen, 88' pen), Carr (65'), Robinson (79')

REPORT | Belper Town 3 - 4 Dunston UTS

Dunston continued their unbeaten start to the season by beating Belper Town 4-3 with two goals from Dale Pearson and a goal apiece from David Robinson and Luke Carr.

Dunston took the lead in the 17th minute through Dale Pearson with Belper reduced to 10 men.

Belper equalised through Phil Watt in first half stoppage time and then took the lead early in the second half through Kevin Bastos.

Dunston captain Michael Pearson was dismissed after 50 minutes.

The Nailers took a 3-1 lead in the 61st minute with Watt getting his second of the game.

Dunston pulled a goal back in 65th minute through Luke Carr. David Robinson grabbed the equaliser for Dunston in the 79th minute before Pearson scored the winner in the 88th minute.

Both sides went into the game with unbeaten league records to start the season.

Dunston started the game on the front foot and were rewarded for their start with a penalty after Sado Djalo got in behind and went around the keeper before his attempt was cleared off the line but only as far as Pearson who’s attempt was also cleared off the line but by the hand of Danny South who was dismissed on his 150th appearance for Belper.

Pearson stepped up to take the penalty and made no mistake from the spot putting Dunston 1-0 up.

Following the red card Dunston enjoyed large spells of possession but couldn’t find a second goal to give themselves some breathing room. 

Djalo came close in the 43rd minute after Pearson fired the ball across the box but the striker couldn’t get a clean contact. Seconds later Pearson came close to his second of the game following a great passage of play on the left by Chris McDonald and Luke Carr.

The home side found an equaliser against the run of play in first half stoppage time from a corner when Watts attempt rolled into the bottom corner.

Belper started the second half the stronger of the two sides and took the lead in the 48th minute when Bastos ran at the Dunston defence before firing a strike past Dan Staples to give the Nailers the lead.

Two minutes later Dunston captain Michael Pearson was dismissed for a challenge on a Belper player.

Dunston’s horror start to the second half continued when Watt got his second goal of the game following a free kick from the right to make it 3-1 to Belper in the 61st minute.

Dunston regained their composure and pulled a goal back in the 65th minute when Luke Carr headed home from close range.

Belper substitute Revarnelle James went through one on one in the 76th minute but was denied by Staples.

Moments later David Robinson headed home Phil Turnbull’s free kick to make it 3-3.

Both sides exchanged counter attacks as they looked for the winner before Pearson beat the offside trap and cut into the box before being fouled with the referee awarding another penalty to Dunston.

Pearson stepped up and dispatched his second penalty of the game but this one wasn’t as straightforward as his first with Johnathan Hedge getting a hand to it before it span over the line off the post.

The penalty was Pearson’s seventh goal of the season after five games.

Dunston saw out the remainder of the game with excellent game management keeping possession in the latter stages before the referee blew for full time after 97 minutes.

Dunston now turn their attention to hosting Hebburn Town on bank holiday Monday in a huge top of the table clash.

Written by Callum Jacques

Image Credit - Beauty Time Photography 

Published Saturday 26th August 2023