Log in or Register
Morpeth Town 2
Reid (59'), Thompson (74')
3 Dunston
Chrisp (4'), Carr (63'), Djalo (69')


Dunston secured their first win of pre-season away at Craik Park as they beat Morpeth Town 3-2.

The weather once again didn’t resemble summer months with torrential rain pouring down ahead of kick-off and into the first half. Despite the dismal conditions Dunston made a bright start to the game and were ahead inside the opening four minutes when JJ Chrisp’s strike from the edge of the box found the bottom corner following a clever corner routine. Dunston continued to press Morpeth out of position and had another opportunity in the 10th minute when Phil Turnbull’s attempt from the edge of the box flashed wide. Morpeth nearly had a way back into the game following a mix up at the back but Morpeth’s number seven fired wide after getting in behind. A minute later Jordan Lamb smashed an effort against the crossbar after winning possession in the final third.

Summer signing Jack Maskell is still searching for his first goal for the club and almost opened his account in the 24th minute but his header was too high. Dunston continued to create chances And Jake Jensen tested the Morpeth keeper from the edge of the box, but the keeper was up to the test. Maskell went close once again in the 31st minute when his strike from a narrow angle went wide. As half time approached Morpeth looked for an equaliser and almost found one after Jack Walker’s pass was cut out by the opposition but Morpeth’s no 10 put it wide. Staples had to make another save in the 41st minute to keep his side ahead at the break.

Into the second half, the rain dried up, but the goals certainly didn’t. The home side dominated possession in the opening stages of the second half and found an equaliser in the 59th minute with a bullet header from a corner. Four minutes later Dunston regained the lead when half time substitute Sado Djalo pulled the ball back to fellow substitute Luke Carr with the latter curling the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. Six minutes later Carr returned the favour as he played Djalo in behind who made no mistake with his finish to make it 3-1 to Dunston in the 69th minute. Morpeth didn’t lie down though and pulled another goal back four minutes later to make for a nervy end to the game for Dunston.

Dunston held out for a 3-2 win, picking up their first victory of pre-season. Next up for Dunston in their final pre-season game is Workington AFC at the UTS Stadium on August 5th.

Written by Callum Jacques

Photo credit - Beauty Time Photography

Published Wednesday 26th July 2023