Log in or Register
Ashton United 3
Potts (15'), Adams (74'), Gilchrist (86')
1 Dunston
Robinson (23')

REPORT | Ashton United 3 Dunston UTS 1

The Robins opened the scoring after just quarter of an hour when Louis Potts slotted home from close-range.

Dunston responded brilliantly and equalised eight minutes later when David Robinson prodded the ball home following a well-worked corner routine.

Despite a pleasing display for the majority of the second half from Dunston, Ashton were clinical in the final 15 minutes and wrapped the game up with goals from Keilan Adams and Jason Gilchrist.

Dunston began the game sharply despite an early chance for the hosts when Potts forced Staples into tipping the ball over the crossbar.

Robinson dragged an effort wide before the ball ricocheted off the crossbar when Jordan Lamb swung a dangerous ball into the box. It appeared the last touch came off an Ashton player.

Unfortunately for UTS, Ashton opened the scoring with 15 minutes on the clock when Potts made no mistake from 6-yards out, breaking the deadlock.

Dunston responded in excellent fashion and grabbed the second goal of the game with 23 minutes played. A Phil Turnbull corner was met by the head of JJ Chrisp, who knocked the ball back across the six-yard box where Robinson fired home.

The remainder of the first half was an even affair, with both sides rarely getting clear sightings on goal.

Dunston were unlucky on the stroke of half-time when Luke Carr was played through on goal but, the referee blew the whistle for halfime.

Chrisp was first to have a real attempt on goal in the second forty-five when he lashed an effort towards goal on the half-volley however, Simpson made the save for the home side.

Minutes later, Dan Staples produced a stunning diving save to deny Potts from getting his second. The Dunston shotstopper got down low and tipped the ball around the post on the stretch.

Dunston continued to show intent going forwards and Carr was next to try his luck when he received the ball from Lamb, before striking his effort over the bar from 18-yards out.

Jack Elliott was introduced to the game with 20 minutes to go in place of JJ Chrisp, and then Terry Galbraith was forced to come off through injury. Jack Camarda was his replacement.

Inbetween the two substitutions, Adams put Ashton into the lead once again. After Dunston switched off at the back, the ball fell to Adams at the back post, and Ashton’s number 10 had a simple finish on 74 minutes.

The home side almost grabbed a third when Staples was caught in no-man’s land. Gilchrist went around Staples, and his shot looked to be destined for the back of the net before Jude Swailes cleared the ball at the last second.

However, Gilchrist wasn’t to be denied again and extended Ashton’s lead with four minutes of regular time to go.

The Ashton substitute stole the ball in the final third and was left one-on-one with Staples. Gilchrist kept his composure with a cool finish.

Despite a huge effort, Dunston fell short and exit the FA Cup for the 2023-24 season. Attention now turns to the Isuzu FA Trophy next Saturday when we host Ashington.

Report by Callum Pattison 

Image by BeautyTime Photography

Published Saturday 2nd September 2023