Log in or Register
Tadcaster Albion 1
Hinsley (44')
1 Dunston
Finnigan (15')

REPORT | Tadcaster Albion 1 Dunston UTS 1

The spoils were shared in North Yorkshire as Dunston had to settle for a frustrating point on the road.

Dunston got off to a flying start as Carl Finnigan netted with a glancing header with a quarter of an hour played to put his side into the early lead. 

The hosts, winless all season, battled hard and equalised just before the half-time interval courtesy of Luke Hinsley. Ultimately, there would be no more goals in the contest as Dunston headed back up the A1 with a point.

Dunston welcomed back Michael Fowler and Phil Turnbull to the starting 11, as Jack Elliott returned to the bench after missing Tuesday’s fixture through illness. Jon Shaw is still unavailable through injury.

The pace was set early as Dunston got off to a promising start, as they sent early warning signals with just a minute played. Carl Finnigan picked up the ball from deep and drove forwards, before firing an effort just wide of the target.

After going close with just a minute played, Finnigan got his goal on the 15-minute mark. Some good work from Liam Thear resulted in the ball going out to the left-hand side to Richard Coulson. Coulson’s cross was pinpoint, as Finnigan rose high to glance the ball into the far corner.

Dunston had their tails up and with 21 minutes played, they almost doubled their lead. Michael Fowler was played through on goal and forced a decent stop from Culverwell in the Tadcaster goal.

As the half progressed, Dunston took their foot off the peddle and allowed Tadcaster back into the game. The hosts almost levelled the encounter midway through the half, as Beaston flicked a header wide after some good play between Crofts and Smith down the left-hand side.

Tadcaster found the equaliser with just two minutes to go before half-time. Luke Hinsley was left unmarked and headed home from a corner to level the game.

The Brewers began the second half in the same fashion they ended the first half. Just two minutes after the restart, they came close again as Claisse’s free-kick dropped to Valentine inside the box however, the shot was not a clean one and Staples was able to claw the ball to safety.

The hosts continued to turn the screw as they searched for another goal, and they came close again just before the hour-mark. Guilfoyle’s cross from the right found Scott Smith at the back-post however, his header was pulled off target.

With the game approaching it’s climax, Dunston began to find their footing and started to play with a little bit more freedom.

On 73 minutes, Liam Thear set off on a mazy run, he played the ball to Jenkins however, the latter’s effort was never troubling the Tadcaster shotstopper.

Just a couple of minutes later, Thear continued to cause problems for the Taddy defence. Once again, he set off on a jiving run and beat multiple players. Unfortunately, the resulting effort on goal was always rising well over the crossbar.

With time running out, Dunston were awarded one final opportunity to rescue the three points as Will Jenkins was brought down 25 yards out, earning a free-kick in the process. The South Shields loanee lined up the free-kick, and smashed it on target, only for Culverwell to produce a smart save between the Tadcaster sticks. 

That was to be the final effort in what was a frustrating afternoon in North Yorkshire, as Dunston were unable to capitalise on a strong start.

The result sees Dunston remain in 7th position in the Pitching In Northern Premier League East table on 26 points, just 2 points outside the play-offs, and a lot of football still to be played.

Next up is a home fixture on Monday November 28th as we host Chester Le Street Town in the Durham Challenge Cup Second Round (7:30pm KO). We then host Cleethorpes Town in a week’s time in a league fixture.

Published Saturday 26th November 2022