Log in or Register
Sheffield 0
2 Dunston
Galbraith (23' pen), Coulson (76')

REPORT | Sheffield FC 0-2 Dunston UTS

Dunston returned to winning ways with an assured victory away at struggling Sheffield FC. 

A first half penalty from Terry Galbraith set Dunston on their way, before Richard Coulson added a second in the second-half as Dunston continued their hold on a playoff position. 

Craig Scott missed the game through suspension whilst Michael Fowler sat out with an injury. Jon Shaw made a welcome return to the starting lineup for his first appearance since the defeat to Consett at the start of the year. 

It was a scrappy start to the game, with both sides struggling to settle on a tough pitch.

Chris Swailes was forced into an early change when Ursene Mouanda, who had only been Introduced into the starting line-up during the warm up following a Michael Pearson injury, limped off and was replaced by Jake Jensen.

With no real chances of note, Dunston were awarded a penalty on 21 minutes. A long goal kick from James Anderson was flicked on by Carl Finnigan, and neat interplay from Coulson and Will Jenkins saw the ball played through to Liam Thear who was brought down in the box.

Galbraith stepped up and sent Jordan Pierrepont the wrong way to give Dunston the lead.

It was almost 2-0 on 28 minutes, when a carbon copy of the move for the first goal saw Jenkins lay off Coulson to shoot. This time though, Pierrepont was equal to it and made a good save down low to his left.

Dunston were enjoying the counter attacks, and a move just before half time saw Finnigan have his shot blocked behind for a corner. 

Sheffield made a decent start to the second half, but failed to test James Anderson. 

Dunston’s first chance of the half fell the way of Jude Swailes, but he blasted over Phil Tunrbull’s delicate free-kick at the back post.

 On 58 minutes, a bad challenge on Will Jenkins meant that handbags ensued between the teams (not quite as exciting as the scenes witnessed in Pontefract as Lewis the physio wasn’t involved), but never the less, it was tasty. After much deliberation, the referee booked Finnigan and Harry Mitchell for the hosts.

At the 70 minute mark, Sheffield thought they’d equalised when centre-back Reece Fielding powered a header home, but with the goal music blaring and the home fans going barmy, the referee had already blown for a foul and the goal was disallowed, much to the enjoyment of the travelling Dunston army. 

And they would pay for the foul as Richard Coulson added a second for Dunston, firing home a fine finish after a teasing run in the box.

That sealed the game, and it got better for Dunston as Rory Coleman was shown a second yellow card on 80 minutes after hauling back Jack Elliott on the counter attack.

Dunston still had to ensure that they got the clean sheet they had deserved, and James Anderson made a tremendous save down low from a corner deep in stoppage time.

A big three points for Dunston on the road, and all eyes now turn to a Durham County Cup semi-final on Tuesday as Spennymoor Town come to the UTS Stadium.

Published Saturday 11th February 2023