Log in or Register
Dunston 1
Jensen (31')
1 Whitley Bay
Porritt (59' pen)

Match Report: Whitley Bay (H)

The first chance of the game went the way of the Bay, who started brighter. Oliver Cressdee cut inside in the box and curled an effort towards goal, only for keeper James Anderson to comfortably claim. Dunston came close soon after when a scramble in the box from a deep cross led to Jon Shaw eventually hooking the ball towards goal, but the linesman’s flag was up for offside.


Dunston then had the lead midway through the first half as they grew into the ascendency, a delicate through ball by Richard Coulson found Jake Jenson who was able to calmy slot past Whitley Bay keeper Ben Regan for his second goal in as many games. Lewis Orrell came close seconds after the restart, the forward driving low from the edge of the box and forced James Anderson into a smart save. As the half ebbed on, Craig Scott nearly grabbed a long overdue goal by volleying towards goal but was kept out by a key block from the Bay backline in the box, as Dunston went into the break ahead.


The first action of the second half went the way of the visitors, however a mazy run into the box by Bay’s Oliver Cressdee was ended when the onrushing Anderson swarmed over the ball. Michael Fowler came close soon after for Dunston, shooting low into the arms of Regan after being laid off by Richard Coulson on the break. The game slowed down in the second half due to the hot weather but despite this, Whitley Bay equalised out of nothing. A long ball forward was met by Porritt, who’s first touch saw him break into the box where he was brought down by Baxter. The referee pointed to the spot, and ex Dunston man Porritt buried his penalty to level the scores.


This ignited Dunston into life, and Jake Turnbull came close to putting Dunston back in the lead, bearing down on goal but placing an effort narrowly wide of the target. In a game that began to open up, Bay almost took the lead through substitute Elliott Day. A Dunston trialist was disposed at the back, and Day raced through but could only slot wide.


Coulson came close again, this time seeing a shot deflect over following a delightful Crossfield ball from full back Craig Baxter. Elliott Day nearly won it for Bay when a mistake at the back was pounced upon by the frontman, and his effort ran narrowly wide of the target from an immensely tight angle. Apart from Bay blazing over one final effort, this was to be the final chance, as the teams played out a highly competitive 1-1 draw.

Published Tuesday 19th July 2022