Log in or Register
Dunston 3
Fowler (36' pen), Jensen (82'), Coulson (90')
0 City of Liverpool

REPORT | City of Liverpool (H)

A Michael Fowler penalty in the first-half got Dunston off to a flying start and gave his side the lead going into half-time. Dunston continued to force the pressure on 'The Purps' and ultimately found two late goals from 'Man of the Match' Jake Jensen and Richard Coulson to wrap up a deserved win in front of the 204 in attendance.

The visitors looked to start brightly and had strong penalty shouts after just 6 minutes as Harwood went down inside the area but, no penalty was give. Dunston were then forced into a very early change as Craig Baxter was replaced by Jude Swailes following an injury to the right back.

On 13 minutes, South Shields loanee Will Jenkins let fly and his curling effort whistled just past the post from the edge of the box.

Dunston continued to settle into the encounter and almost took the lead on 22 minutes. Jon Shaw got onto the end of a Phil Turnbull corner but, Ryan Hamer was able to stop the goal-bound with his feet. Fowler then came close just minutes later as his effort was always rising over the bar after a delicate lobbed pass from Turnbull.

With over half an hour played, Dunston were awarded a penalty as the ball appeared to strike the hand of a City of Liverpool player. Top scorer Michael Fowler stepped up and dispatched the penalty to give his side the advantage.

Into the second-half and Dunston continued to look the stronger side as Jude Swailes headed just over the bar from a corner in the early stages of the half. 

At the other end of the pitch, Dan Staples was called into action for the first time on 49 minutes. The Purps broke away and Staples was forced to block an effort from Hazlehurst at the near post.

As the half wore on, Dunston were becoming increasingly unlucky not to extend their lead. With 65 minutes played, Jack Elliott won the ball in the opponent's half and played the ball to Djalo who teed up Fowler only for his shot to be easily dealt with by Hamer. The City of Liverpool shot-stopper was called into action again moments later as Jenkins fired a shot from 30 yards out and Hamer was able to tip it over the bar.

On 76 minutes, the chances kept coming and this time it was for Sado Djalo. Second-half substitute Liam Thear burst down the left-hand side and his deflected effort fell to Djalo's feet however, the forward was only able to put his effort wide of the post.

Finally, the second goal came with 8 minutes left to play. After bedlam in the box, a pinball situation and the ball appearing to strike the hand of a visiting defender, Jake Jensen was able to fire the ball into the back of the net amidst all the chaos.

The result was signed, sealed and delivered in stoppage time as Richard Coulson added a third in the final moments. Liam Thear broke down the wing and played the ball to Coulson who fired a brilliant, low shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the box to wrap up the win in style.

Dunston now progress to the Second Round Qualifying and will be involved in the draw on Monday afternoon.

Published Saturday 3rd September 2022