Log in or Register
Pickering Town 4
Logan (5'), Unknown (13' og), Sanyang (35'), Taylor (45')
2 Dunston
Galbraith (59' pen), Heslop (64')

Pickering Town vs Dunston UTS FC Match Report

Match report by Dom Bingham

Dunston endured a nightmare first half in Pickering as the hosts ran riot, and despite a second half fightback they left themselves far too much to do as they went down by four goals to two in what was a highly disappointing night.

Pickering flew out of the blocks and the game was just five minutes old when the hosts had their first goal. Following a rash challenge by Michael Hall, the subsequent free kick was floated in, and the ball found it’s way to forward Billy Logan who swivelled and put the ball past Liam Connell to give the hosts a dream start.

Moments later, there were shouts for a penalty as goal scorer Logan ran into Terry Galbraith and went down. The referee was unmoved, but Pickering needn’t have worried, as on thirteen minutes a ball down the right found Pickering winger Harry Lowick, who’s low cross in was turned into his own net by Michael Hall. The goal seemed highly controversial as Lowick appeared to be a good few yard ahead of the defence in an offside position when he received the ball, but the goal stood regardless and Dunston had it all to do to get back into the game.

Pickering continued to come on strong and were dominating Dunston all over the pitch. Sam Barker had a shot tipped over by Liam Connell, and then the hosts added a third goal when a high lofted ball into the box was spilled by the Dunston stopper, allowing Omar Sanyang to turn into an empty net from three yards out.

Dunston looked for a route back into the game and Terry Galbraith almost got one back before half time, only for the Pickering keeper Leigh Overton to make a great save down low to keep his sides three goal lead intact. As if things couldn’t get any worse, Dunston conceded a fourth goal just before half time. Following a speculative cross field ball that stayed in play on the slope, Barker received the ball, laid it off for Taylor through a static Dunston defence and he squeezed it in from a tight angle for 4-0. Half time could not come soon enough.

Dunston came out fighting in the second half but still lacked a cutting edge. First Jack Elliott raced into the box and crossed low, but Mason could only put his shot wide. Heslop then fired wide of the post from a tough angle as they continued to pile on the pressure. Finally, the pressure paid off as Lee Mason was upended in the box, and a penalty was awarded. Terry Galbraith slotted home to cut the deficit to three with half an hour left to play.

Four minutes later, the deficit was reduced again to two. A superb ball in from Porritt was met by Heslop who turned the ball into the back of the net to give the visitors hope. As the game edged on, Overton made two smart saves to keep his side in the lead. First Mason, had his shot saved brilliantly on the turn, and then Coulson’s shot was pushed wide for a corner. 

In the end, Dunston couldn’t find the goals they needed to salvage a point from the game, and will go home disappointed with a third loss in a row and a highly poor first half display.

Match day photography courtesy of Beauty Time Photography 

Click image below

Published Wednesday 15th December 2021