Log in or Register
Dunston 4
Coulson (20'), Fowler (46', 67'), Mason (84')
3 Pickering Town
Thornton (45' pen), McNaughton (59'), Holdsworth (80')
Pickering Town

Match report - Dunston UTS FC vs Pickering Town.

After a slow first ten minutes, Dunston grew into the game and started to take the ascendency. First, Michael Fowler worked his way through a wall of yellow shirts in the Pickering box with a mazy run before pulling a fine save from Pikes keeper Harry Flatters. 

On twenty minutes, a piece of brilliance from the in-form Richard Coulson ignited the game. Jack Elliott, who was already causing the defence numerous problems down the left with his silky feet, cut in and laid off Coulson who curled in a beauty from 25 yards out to give Dunston the lead. 

Following the goal, it was all Dunston. First, Jake Turnbull saw a shot deflected over for a corner after a neat one-two with Coulson, before Michael Pearson saw a shot tipped over by Flatters from the edge of the box. Despite their dominance, Dunston couldn’t find a second before the break and it was Pickering who would go into half-time the happier. Amarauding run from midfielder Moses Aboiye into the box resulted in a penalty following a rash challenge from Michael Hall. Jamie Thornton stepped up to level proceedings, sending Connell the wrong way.

The second half started brilliantly for Dunston, and it was simple. A long ball from Liam Connell beat everyone, and Michael Fowler held off the defenders to coolly slot under Flatters to regain the lead. It nearly got better, this time a counterattack reached Jack Elliott who’s low shot was saved well.

There were then huge shouts for a Pickering penalty down the other end, a miscued clearance from Craig Baxter allowed Pickering through on goal. Flynn McNaughton rounded Connell and appeared to be upended, by the referee said dive and booked the forward. Liam Connell was then called into action again, making a fabulous save down low from Brandon Holdsworth to keep the lead.

Pickering continued to fight and hit back to level the game once more. Flynn McNaughton dispossessed Michael Hall deep in the Dunston half and fired low past Connell from a tight angle to make it 2-2.

Dunston refused to lie down and settle for a point. Liam Thear hit the bar with a header from a corner, and then Dunston we’re awarded a penalty, following superb counter attacking play from Fowler and Elliott, which led to the latter being upended. Fowler stepped up and grabbed his second to put Dunston back in front. 

Fowler nearly had his hat trick, when a Coulson flick from a Mason through ball was fizzed wide.

Holdsworth hit back once more for the Pikes to level the scores at 3-3, this time a long free kick wasn’t dealt with by any of the Dunston back line, and the ball found it’s way across to Holdsworth who put it into an empty net. 

Just as it looked like the game would end all square, Lee Mason had the final say. A deep ball in fell to the substitute who twisted, turned and fires past Flatters to give Dunston all three points.

An absolute roller coaster of an evening at the UTS Stadium, with Dunston coming out on top to grab another home victory.

Match report by Dom Bingham

Dunston UTS FC Man of the Match awarded to Jack Elliott

Jack Elliott is kindly sponsored by:

Home shirt - Derwent Dental Studio

Away shirt - Derwent Dental Studio

3rd shirt - Mr Graham Rowley

Training kit - Mick Clark

Published Wednesday 9th February 2022