Log in or Register
Bridlington Town 3
Earl (45', 57'), Dennison (90' pen)
2 Dunston
Fowler (30', 83')

Match - Bridlington Town vs Dunston UTS FC

Dunston ended the season in disappointing fashion with an injury time 3-2 defeat away at Bridlington Town, a result that sees Chris Swailes’ side finish the season in sixth place.

Bridlington, who were fighting for their survival in the league, started the game by soaking up a lot of Dunston pressure. Liam Thear had the first chance, cutting inside and having a low shot saved easily by Jamie Hitchcock. On 20 minutes, Dunston almost had the lead. After Thear was pulled down on the edge of the box, Phil Turnbull swung a free kick off the crossbar with the goalkeeper beaten. Brid were living dangerously but only needed a point to stay up. 

Eventually, Dunston’s control of the game paid off, and it was that man again Michael Fowler who broke the deadlock. The striker picked up the ball, twisted and turned in the box and fire a low shot past Hitchcock to give the team’s pressure a reward. 

Despite their dominance, Dunston were pegged back just before half time when Daniel Earl received the ball down the right flank from a speculative through ball, and looped the ball home from 25 yards out over the on-rushing Liam Connell to level the tie and send his side in the happier at the break.

Bridlington continued their momentum in the second half, and took the lead soon after the restart when Earl fired low past Connell from the edge of the box having drove forward unchallenged. The hosts continued to press, with Plummer heading wide from a corner and Green having a shot well saved by Liam Connell.

Chris Swailes rang the changes, with Jake Stafford and Jack Elliott brought on to inject a revival in the game. After Matt Plummer had headed wide from a corner, Brid almost added a third, but a super stop by Connell and a Michael Hall goal line block kept out the hosts.

Michael Fowler continued to look lively, having a shot saved at a tight angle before he put Dunston level again. Holding off Dennison following a delightful through ball by Jude Swailes, his first shot was well saved by Hitchcock, but unchallenged he slotted into the net to level the tie.

In the dying embers, Bridlington had two penalty shouts. First, a long ball forward led Luke Porritt to dive in, only for the linesman to overturn the referee’s initial penalty decision. Despite this, from the resulting corner, another penalty was awarded when Coulson was adjudged to have man handled Earl in the box, with Dennison firing his penalty into the net to save his side from relegation and end Dunston’s season in disappointing fashion.

Man of the Match: Michael Fowler

Published Sunday 24th April 2022