Log in or Register
Shildon 4
Sweet (7', 25', 60'), Thexton (16')
1 Dunston
Heslop (22')
Shildon DCC

Shildon AFC vs Dunston UTS FC - Durham Challenge Cup - Match report

Despite the visitors having the majority of possession, particularly in the first half, Dunston were punished for their mistakes. In a 4-1 score-line, that arguably flattered the hosts, Shildon were ruthless in front of goal.

Swaz, who was celebrating his 51st Birthday on a rain and windswept Tuesday evening in Co Durham’s Deep South, had decided to make multiple changes to the side that had overpowered Yorkshire Amateur at home on Saturday. 

The visitors had the bulk of possession in the opening stages of the game, without creating any clear cut chances. Shildon’s first foray in attack resulted in them taking a lead on 7 minutes. A quickly taken free kick was played into Aiden Heywood out wide, he delivered a dangerous ball aimed at the back post, Michael Sweet catching Dunston napping, to glance his header beyond Connell.

Scott Heslop went agonisingly close to levelling the game, cutting inside his marker to bend a curling shot narrowly wide of the top corner as Shildon had struggled to clear their lines from a corner.

Within a minute of Heslop’s missed opportunity, “The Railwaymen” extended their lead on 16 minutes through Dean Thexton. A mistake from Jake Stafford punished, as the Shildon forward raced away to bury his shot into the bottom corner. 

Dunston got themselves back into the game on 22 minutes, with some intricate and patient passing the ball was rolled out wide to Ursene Mouanda, with a surging run down the line, he ghosted past his marker to pull the ball back to Heslop who finished with a fine powerful first time shot drilling the ball into the bottom corner.

 4 minutes later any glimmer of hope of Dunston getting back into the game were, for all intents and purposes, obliterated. Punished for a careless back pass, Will McGamely sent in a cross to present Michael Sweet with an easy finish at the back post.

 Arguably the half time score-line of 3-1 to Shildon did not reflect the balance of play, however Shildon had taken full advantage of the opportunities they had been presented with.

 Dunston came out in the second half with urgency and purpose as they looked to get back into the game. With the wind on their side, the opening phase looked promising, Pattison going close with a fizzing effort from distance and Heslop glancing his header from a corner wide of the upright. 

 Connell denied Michael Sweet in a one on one, with the ball taking a bobble on the pitch as the forward bore down on goal.

Dan Capewell, who was captaining Dunston on the night in the absence of Craig Scott and Michael Pearson, went of a mazy and jinking Maradona-esque run into the Shildon box, in an effort to force his side back into the game.

 Shildon’s response to Capey’s John Barnes Lucozade powered like surging run, was to extend their lead by three goals as Michael Sweet completed his hat-trick, his shot nestling his into the bottom corner despite the best efforts of a steel shirt clad defender to block his shot, with the game as good as over on the hour mark.

 Dunston had chances to reduce the arrears in the final 30 minutes, Lee Mason with an effort down the throat of the Shildon keeper, Sado having the ball nicked off his toes with a perfectly timed tackle inside the box, Mason rattling a rasping effort off the crossbar whilst Callum Elliott was shown a straight red card with 5 minutes to go as the visitors disappointing evening was eventually brought to a close.

 Certainly not for the first time this season, credit must go to Dunston’s superb travelling support, who made up a large proportion of the attendance. 

 Dunston UTS FC Man of the Match: Dan Capewell

 Dan Capewell is kindly sponsored by:

Home shirt - Jimmy Souley

Away shirt - Billy Irwin Painter and Decorator

3rd shirt -Dunston UTS FC Supporters Club - Youth Section.

 Training kit - Christina Shell.   

Published Wednesday 20th October 2021