Log in or Register
Dunston 2
Fitzpatrick (12'), Elliott (14')
2 Widnes
Murray (22'), Rainford (89')

Match report Dunston FC vs Widnes

Dunston managed to surrender a two goal lead against ten men Widnes, leaving a sense of points dropped rather than a point gained as “The Vikings” levelled on the 90th minute. On the balance of play, the result was a fair one.

The opening goal of the game came on the 12th minute, Mark Fitzpatrick, having been fouled on the edge of the box by Callum Humphries, up stepped Fitzy to whip a superb curling set piece right into the opposite top corner and notch his 20th goal of the season in all competitions.

Moments later the home side were two ahead, Luke Pages’ disguised pass picking out the runJack Elliott’s cross come shot, aimed at the back post, nestled into the top corner with only 14 minutes on the clock

The home side nearly scored their third a minute later, Jack Elliott played in by Fitzy only for the keeper block the shot with his feet and deflect the shot over the bar.

On 22 minutes Widnes pulled one back, earning a free kick, the ball was switched over to the left wing, in went a pinpoint cross which James Murray hit first time into an open net for what marked the visitors first real effort on goal.

4 minutes later Widnes thought they’d equalised, a misplaced pass in the middle of the park saw Jamie Rainford race away and slot past Dryden, only for the linesman flag for offside.

Widnes seemed to now have the impetuous, their slick passing creating issues for the home side.

Fitzy, on the edge of the box again, drilled a powerful free kick down the middle of the goal, this time collected by the keeper.

Referee Adam Nichol, who has already dished out 3 yellow cards, in a game where there was little in the way of any serious fouls, booked Humphries for a second time, Widnes now having to spend the majority of the game with 10 men.

Dunston regained control in the game as Widnes appeared disjointed, they’re earlier period of confidence and neat passing replaced with uncertainty. 

Luke Page dinked a delicate pass over the Widnes defence, releasing the pace of Jack Elliott, Terry forcing the corner which resulted in Craig Scott’s header been headed of the line by Shaun Holden with half time looming.

Dunston headed into half time with a deserved lead, having controlled the vast majority of the game and Widnes now seemingly up against it with only 10 men.

Liam Marrs replaced Callum Elliott as the second half started with Dunston kicking off towards the club house end. It was the visitors who came out with more purpose at the start of the second half, Danny Ventre firing a shot over the bar in the first minute of the second half, played in by James Murray who picked up a ball on the edge of the box as no yellow shirt hand been on hand to capitalise from a dangerous Ryan Jennings cross.

Dunston’s first effort after the break came on the 55th minute, a Shahban Mohammed header deftly controlled by Fitzy, with yellow shirts in close proximity, he turned to pick out Jack Elliott out wide, his venomous shot tipped into the air by Terry onto the roof of the net with Fitzy applying pressure.

Ryan Jennings capitalised on a misplaced pass, his pace down the line moving him into a dangerous a one on one situation, looking likely to level, he squandered his chance and dinked the ball into the hands of a grateful Karl Dryden.

Fitzpatrick, Mohammed and Elliott combined well to create and opportunity, the cross from Elliott over hit, fell to Page who sent his half volley over the bar on 64 minutes.

Widnes were dictating play, Kingsley Williams rarely misplaced his passes as he able to pick out the runs of Rainford and Jennings and apply pressure on Dunston, as the hosts struggled to maintain possession 

Dan Halliday bravely blocked a shot from James Murray, having been played through on goal and seemingly destined to equalise. Moments later a dangerous Ryan Jennings free kick towards the near post was narrowly put over the bar by Jamie Rainford.

Liam Thear fired a shot over from close range, the shot more power than accuracy, having been played in one on one with the keeper by Luke Page.

Widnes levelled, on the 89th minute, Murrays shot fired straight at Dryden was blocked by the keeper, only to loop into the air, the ball eventually bundled over the line by Rainford.

In an attempt to secure the win, Fitzy headed past the far post and across goal from close range as the home side push for all three points whilst Thears' dart into the box, past three players resulted in the player going down in the box and penalty appeals waived away.


Published Wednesday 11th March 2020