Log in or Register
Dunston 0
1 Pontefract Collieries
Smythe (14' pen)

Match report - Dunston FC vs Pontefract Collieries.

Frustrating afternoon for Dunston

Tuesday, 17 October 2017 19:13

Saturday 28 December 2019

BetVictor Northern Premier League North West Division 

Final score: Dunston FC - 0 Pontefract Collieries - 1

Attendance: 229

Match report by: Tom Clark

Dunston welcomed Pontefract Collieries to the Dunston UTS Stadium for a rearranged BetVictor Northern Premier League North West Division game. The weather was mild and the Dunston ground staff had worked wonders again to get the sodden pitch in to a playable condition. Dunston having been beaten 4-1 away to league leaders Workington in a game were an excellent Workington side proved to be too good despite Dunston creating some good opportunities. Manager Chris Swailes again had to change his preferred line up due to injuries and the suspension of Michael Pearson.

The game started with Dunston pressing and working the Pontefract defence and in the first minute Scott Heslop broke into the Pontefract area and just failed to play in Mark Fitzpatrick as the ball was intercepted. 

Above: Mark Fitzpatrick endured a frustrating afternoon.

Pontefract replied with the long ball clearances but the Dunston defence held strong and played the ball out of defence. On 11 minutes Dunston created a great chance as Page fed in Heslop whose shot went wide of the far post. On 13 Pontefract again played the ball up to the Dunston defence who seemed to cope but as Craig Scott was put under pressure by Lumsden he slipped and pulled back on the player for which the referee awarded a penalty. The penalty kick was played firmly, by Conner Smythe, into the net with Dryden electing to go the to the opposite side. 1-0 to Pontefract.

Dunston were unfazed and continued to mount attacks against the Pontefract defence who were committed in their cause to prevent the vibrant Dunston forwards. On 17 Dunston should of equalised as Heslop played a ball across the 6 yard box to Fitzpatrick whose first time shot hit the outside of the post and the chance was lost.

On 23 minutes Luke Page tried to retain the ball on the edge of the Pontefract area only to be forced to the ground, unfortunately the referee continued play and Page reacted by hitting the defender Picton in the following skirmish and the referee had no option but to send Page from the field of play.

Below: Dunston’s Luke Page sees red. 

Dunston regathered their side with Heslop dropping back into midfield leaving Fitzpatrick in a solo front runner. On 28, Baxendale played a through ball to Dockerty sending him clear but the referees assistant ruled him to be offside. Again on 33, Dockerty dribbled his way into the Dunston area however his attempted cross was deflected to Dryden at the front post. Dunston should of equalised a minute later as a Heslop cross fell to Hall 10 yards out but a weak shot was collected by Malkowski. On 37, a Stafford 35 yard free kick went through to Malkowski. On 41 Dockerty played a ball back to Clarke who shot high over the bar again not testing Dryden. On 44, Heslop again broke into the Pontefract area but his shot went just past the far post.

The second half started similar to first but Pontefract got the first chance on 47 minutes as Greenhough crossed and Clarke this time headed wide of the target. Play became very scrappy marred by minor scuffles which the referee took no action against the Pontefract side however, but produced cautions for Dunston players for petty fouls despite the referees assistant being manhandled by a Pontefract player. On 77 Heslop tried a 30 yard shot which went narrowly over the bar. 

Above: Scott Heslop goes close for the home side

On 81, Baxendale went into the Dunston area only to dive when about to be challenged for which he received a caution. Dunston remained committed to get an equaliser but the Pontefract defence remained solid, on 86, Thear fed Cedwyn Scott who chose to try another pass on to Jack Elliott instead of shooting. It was definitely not going to be Dunston's day as play moved into 7 minutes of additional time despite having outplayed Pontefract for most of the game and despite being down to 10 men for over 70 minutes, while Pontefract seemed happy to just punt the ball forward and defend their area vigourously.

Below: Jack Elliott who had a chance to level at the end.

Dunston FC: Karl Dryden, Callum Elliott, Jack Elliott, Craig Scott, Dan Capewell, Andrew Grant-Soulsby, Jake Stafford, Luke Page, Mark Fitzpatrick ( Cedwyn Scott 69), Scott Heslop, Michael Hall (Liam Thear 69). Subs not used: Dan Halliday, Liam Brooks, Niall Harrison.

Pontefract Collieries: Malkowski, Greenhough, Smythe, Ible,Clarke, Picton, Cromack, Williams,, Lumsden ( Bailey 85), Dockerty (Redford 67), Baxendale ( Jeffs 90+4). Sub not used: Rothery.

Dunston's Supporters Club Man of the Match: Craig Scott

Next Home Game: Wednesday 1 January 2020 v Marske United in The BetVictor Northern Premier League North West Division with a 3:00 KO

Images courtesy of Beauty Time Photograpy.

Published Sunday 29th December 2019