Log in or Register
Colne 0
1 Dunston
Pearson (90')

Match report Colne vs Dunston FC.

Dunston claim a much needed victory with a smash and grab last minute goal. 

Colne  FC vs Dunston FC

BetVictor NPL N/West Division


Final score Colne FC - 0. Dunston FC - 1 (Pearson 90+1)

Dunston escaped the wind and rain swept hills of Lancashire with a late smash and grab win against Colne, thanks to a perfectly executed header from Michael Pearson in injury time. The win ended Dunston’s three game losing streak as Colne surrendered points in the dying stages of a game for the second match running.

Speaking on the win after the game Dunston FC Manager Chris Swailes said:

“It was a hard contested game, I think we dominated the first half without being a big threat on goal. We limited their chances and I can’t remember Karl having to make a real save in the first half”. He continued We defended well against the wind in the second half but lacked quality in the final third at times, that said, in my opinion the result in the end was justified”. 

Without the services of Mark Fitzpatrick, Liam Mars and Luke Page, Dunston had to dig deep for the win, new signing Ursene Mouanda made an impressive debut in the middle of the park, the former Glasgow Rangers youngster rarely conceding possession in a scrappy midfield battle.

The game saw both sides cancel each other out for large periods of time, however Dunston arguably had the better chances, particularly in the first half. The first 20 minutes of the game went by with very little action in front of goal. Colne looked to spring attacks on the break but where confronted by  a rock solid Dunston defence.

Scott Heslop, playing as a loan striker in a 4-5-1 formation, had the first real chance of the encounter, only to be thwarted by the quick reactions of Colne keeper Hakan Burton. Moments later Michael Hall chanced his arm from distance but yet again the home sides shot stopper was alert to the danger. Burton was on hand again two minutes later flying out to grasp a dangerous ball in from Dunston Captain Dan Halliday from out wide.

Colne squandered a great chance to open the scoring mid-way through the second half, a well rehearsed free kick was floated into the back post and narrowly evaded the red shirt flying in at the back stick.

The home side looked a threat from set pieces, and like so many sides in this division, looked to take advantage at any given opportunity to play for the free kick.

Another well engineered dead ball from the home side was swung in to the back post Dryden saved well from an Andrew Hollins effort and reacted quickly to the follow up from Connor Hughes.

The two sides emerged for the second half to continued rain and winds with Dunston kicking up hill on the sloping pitch.The first 10 minutes were a battle of attrition. Heslop had a half chance and the referee waived away claims of handball from the visitors following a Michael Hall free kick into the box.

With little sense of an opener, Swaz elected to change formation slightly, going to a 4-3-3 formation and replacing Liam Thear for Liam Brooks.

Marcus Poscha had the best chance to open the goal scoring for the home side, however he somehow contrived to blaze over a dangerous low cross from Connor Hughes from yards out.

Having made all of their substitutes Colne had to see out the final 10 minutes of the game down to ten men, as Lee Pugh had to leave the field injured.The numerical advantage seemed to lift the Dunston players belief that they could take all three points and the applied relentless pressure upon Colne. The home side seemingly happy to pump long balls away down the slope in order to salvage a point. Yet again a set piece into the back post from Colne created issues, but was unable to get beyond Karl Drydens goal line.

Micheal Pearson sealed Dunston’s win in the 91st minute, a ball from Jack Elliot into Michael Hall saw the defender, playing in the midfield for this game, whip in a pin point cross to the back stick, Pearson drilled his header into the ground and into the back of the net.

Dunston line-up:

Dryden, Capewell, Halliday (C), Hall, Craig Scott, Grant- Soulsby, Jack Elliott, Ursene Mouanda, Heslop (Cedwyn Scott), Pearson, Brooks (Thear)

Subs not used: Harrison, Callum Elliott.

Dunston UTS FC Supporters Club Man of the Match awarded to: Ursene Mouanda.

Published Wednesday 8th January 2020