Log in or Register
Dunston 3
Heslop (3'), Fitzpatrick (47', 78' pen)
2 Ossett United
Vann (10'), Guest (54')
Buildbase FA Trophy Preliminary Round
Saturday 12 October 2019
Dunston FC 3 v Osset United FC 2
Crowd 314.
Report By Tom Clark

After a disappointing defeat in the FA Cup against Colne, Dunston were again in cup action in the Buildbase FA Trophy as they moved up the pyramid which means they now do not qualify for the FA Vase. Today they met fellow BetVictor Premier League North West side Ossett United who were also involved in Dunston’s first league game which ended in a 1-0 win giving Dunston their first league point. 

This game was different as Dunston scored early in the game as Scott Heslop fired home on 3 minutes and not to be outdone Ossett replied with a Vann miss kick which went past Niall Harrison in the Dunston goal. The second half saw Dunston again go ahead on 46 minutes with a Fitzpatrick header at the back post only for Ossett to equalise again 8 minutes later this time with a well taken 20 yard strike from Substitute Nicholas Guest. The game had became an exciting end to end encounter and on 77 minutes, Mark Fitzpatrick was challenged by a defender from behind in the box, Fitzpatrick got up to shoot home the penalty which proved to be he winner although both sides had opportunities to score. Dunston deserved their victory and moved on to the next round of the FA Trophy. 

Dunston Manager Chris Swailes made some changes to his starting line up after last weeks defeat giving a first competitive game to Niall Harrison in goal, Jack Elliott
cup-tied last week replaced Callum Smith and Mark Fitzpatrick returning from injury replacing Cedwyn Scott up front.

Dunston kicked off and were immediately on the attack and when Liam Marrs won a ball near the right corner flag his cross into the heart of the goal area was met by Scott Heslop who shot the ball into the net giving Dunston the lead on 3 minutes. Dunston almost went further ahead on 7 minutes as Liam Marrs played a through ball to Scott Heslop who drove a shot on target that was deflected into the side netting. The Ossett goalkeeper Chapman relieved the pressure as he confidently collected the corner at his back post. 

On 10 minutes, against the run of play an indecisive Dunston defence allowed a soft shot from outside the area which found right back Jack Vann, 6 yards out and his miskicked attempt wrong footed Harrison and rolled into the Dunston goal for 1-1 equaliser. Dunston immediately replied as Fitzpatrick was played into the Ossett box and as Chapman advanced forcing Fitzpatrick wide his off balanced poked shot went just wide of the far post. On 15, Sikora headed wide of the Dunston front post from a corner. On 21, Dan Halliday drove a low ball across the Ossett area which was cleared. Dunston again went close as Scott Heslop took on and beat Knowles but his shot come cross went out of play. In a good interchange between Scott Heslop and Jack Elliott saw Heslop drive in a 30 yard shot which Chapman saved on 32 minutes. 

Two minutes later Halliday bent a shot around the advancing goalkeeper Chapman only to see it just scrape past the post after a Liam Brooks step-over from a Mark Fitzpatrick pass deceived the Ossett defence. A hectic final five minutes of the first half saw chances for Dunston, Fitzpatrick 2 shots deflected wide for corners, a well controlled 30 yard Heslop volley saved by Chapman, and finished with a corner clearance by Craig Scott going only as far as Haswell who fired over the bar from 20 yards out.     

Half Time score: Dunston 1 Ossett United 1

The second half started similar to the first as Dunston put Ossett under pressure which resulted in Dunston’s second goal on 46, as Craig Scott won the ball just inside the Ossett half and his run towards the edge of the Ossett box resulted in a cross to the back post that was met by Mark Fitzpatrick who headed home. Dunston should have gone three - one up a minute later as Fitzpatrick won a ball on the edge of the six yard box only to fire his shot over the bar. Ossett replied again on 53 as Greaves played a ball to substitute Nicholas Guest who fired a 20 yard shot past Niall Harrison in the Dunston goal. On 55, Luke Page played a ball forward to Heslop who just failed to control the ball with only Chapman to beat. On 59, Dunston got the ball in the net after Heslop was played into the box with only the keeper to beat, the keeper did well to block Heslop's attempt but fumbled his possession of the ball and Pearson fired home but the referee awarded a foul ruling out the goal. 

On 61, Page played in Fitzpatrick and with the Ossett keeper rushing out of his area he decided to lob the ball over him, the ball appeared to hit the advancing keepers arm outside the box but the lob proceeded goal wards only for Sikaro to hook it clear of the goal and out for a corner.  Again on 67, Dunston were denied a goal as Jack Elliott raced into the Ossett box his shot beat Chapman but was cleared off the line. On 73 minutes another Dunston effort saw Liam Thear play to Liam Marrs whose shot was appeared
to hit goalkeeper Chapman in the face and rebounded clear from danger.  Dunston pressure was working and when Mark Fitzpatrick was challenged from behind in the
penalty area the referee awarded a penalty which Fitzpatrick duly despatched on 77 minutes. A minute later Cedwyn Scott on as substitute for Heslop went across the penalty box and found space but his shot went over the bar. Ossett had chance on 80, as a clever flick by O'Keeffe beat the Dunston defence only for the ball to go straight through to Harrison in the Dunston net. 

In a frantic final 5 minutes of normal time Ossett were seriously trying for the equaliser but some stout and hard defensive work by Dunston saw that they were denied. In their efforts to get the ball, the referee had cause to caution players from both sides much to the disdain of the Ossett management. As the game entered 4 minutes added on time Ossett’s centre forward was played into the Dunston 6 yard box only to somehow lob his shot over the Dunston cross bar. 

The game ended 3 - 2 much to the disdain of the Ossett Management Team who will have to answer for some unsavoury comments to the referee after the final whistle. All in all Dunston deserved this victory and had they taken their chances and with a bit of luck could have done so easily, but as it turned out they were luck that Greaves fired his shot in the final minutes over the cross bar.

Dunston FC:  Harrison (N), Marrs, Halliday (Capewell 45), Pearson, Grant-Soulsby, Scott (Cg), Elliott (Jack), Page, Fitzpatrick, Heslop (Scott (Ced)63), Brooks (Thear 68), Subs not used: Elliott (Call), Dryden, Smith.

Ossett United FC: Chapman, Vann, McQuade, Monkhouse, Knowles (O’Keefe 68), Sikora, Haswell (Harrison (Ell)l 68), Gregory, Greaves, Katsamagkas (Guest 17), Chantler. Subs not used: Porritt, Webb-Foster.

Dunstons Man of the Match: Mark Fitzpatrick awarded by Dunston Supporters Club.

Next Home Game:   BetVictor Premier League North West League, Dunston FC v Trafford FC on 19th October 2019, 3:00pm kick off. 

Published Sunday 13th October 2019 (last updated Tuesday 15th October 2019)