Log in or Register
Dunston 0
4 Gainsborough Trinity
Allott (9', 42', 65'), James (21')

Dunston FC vs Gainsborough Trinity.

Dunston FC vs Gainsborough Trinity.
Buildabase FA Trophy 1st Qualifying round.
Match Sponsors: UKCS - UK Collection Services.
Attendance: 216

Match report: Danny Whalen.

Dunston were eliminated from the Buildbase FA Trophy in a disappointing 0-4 home defeat to Gainsborough Trinity. Dunston’s mistakes were punished as their opponents made the best of their chances in front of goal, whilst the hosts squandered theirs. In a lacklustre and uninspired performance there could be no arguments over final result. Dunston were without the services of several players namely Michael Pearson, Craig Scott and Dan Lowther as Manager Chris Swailes started the game with a 3-5-2 formation.

The game had been re-arranged having been postponed on the weekend. Gainsborough Trinity recently installed Curtis Woodhouse as Manager having joined from Tadcaster Albion. 

Both sides would go into the game looking for a morale boosting victory with the two clubs currently occupying 19th place in their respective leagues, Gainsborough Trinity one level above Dunston in The FA Pyramid. Gainsborough took the lead on 9 minutes, Nathan Stainfield floated a hopeful long ball from inside his own half into Dunston’s 18 yard box, the ball was misjudged by Dunston keeper Niall Harrison, with Kingsley James the first to react, and Harrison stranded, the ball was played to Gainsborough Captain Gavin Allott who was presented with the simple task of stroking the ball into an empty net.

Dunston went close to grabbing an equaliser moments later, Liam Thear dinked a ball over the top of the visitors defence, Brooks collected the ball well and raced on towards goal, his effort flashing wide of the post. The hosts were awarded a penalty on 17 minutes as Maguire dragged Scott Heslop down in the box, Heslop stepped up to take the spot kick only to see his effort saved by the legs of Trinity keeper David Robson. Liam Thear was to be denied on the follow up as Robson made a fine reaction save from close range. Gainsborough punished Dunston further on 20 minutes, from a throw in the home side were last to react to a series of flick ons as Kingsley James turned and lashed his volley from inside the 6 yard box into the roof of the net. 

Despite trailing Dunston had created the Lions’ share of opportunities, with Heslop, Brooks and Thear all going close for the hosts, however their efforts were continually thwarted by Gainsborough Trinity keeper David Robson. Surrounded by opponents, Jack Elliott weaved his way through and played a sumptuous defence splitting pass with the outside of his boot to Liam Thear, who beat the visitors offside trap, only to be prevented by the quick reactions of a Gainsborough defender. Gainsborough further added to their lead on 42 minutes, from a throw in the visitors were able to retain possession, Stainfield lofted the ball into the box for Allott, the forward made no mistake from close range to put the ball past Harrison.

Trailing by 3 goals going into the break, the home side were unable were to produce any sort of a resurgence in the second half. Gainsborough were to capitalise of yet another Dunston mistake, Dan Capewell carried the ball from deep inside his own half, playing a ball into Jack Elliott, his wayward pass was easily cut out as the ball was played into the space left in behind the advanced defender, Dunston were slow to react to the transition in play as Allott controlled the pass and drove at the open space ahead of him, the forward completed his hat-trick with a venomously struck effort from the edge of the box in off the underside to the crossbar.

Dunston may have felt hard done to with the half time scoreline, however the hosts performance during the second half showed little in the way of any fight back. Gainsborough Trinity could, and should have, increased their goal tally on 84 minutes. 

A mistimed challenge in the box by Luke Page on Curtis Morrison saw referee Craig Chatten point straight to the spot, up stepped Ross Hannah to take the penalty, only to see Dunston keeper Niall Harrison guess the right way and push his effort away.

Final score Dunston FC - 0 Gainsborough Trinity - 4.

Dunston FC line up: Harrison, Marrs, Jack Elliott (Callum Smith), Dan Halliday (C), Grant- Soulsby, Capewell, Hall, Page, Thear, Heslop (Cedwyn Scott), Brooks (Fitzpatrick).
Subs not used: Dryden, Callum Elliott.

Dunston UTS FC Supporters Club Man of the Match awarded to: Andrew Grant-Soulsby.
Andrew Grant-Soulsby is kindly sponsored by: 
Paul King Heating Components (Home)
Steve Sibbald (Away) 
Ken Fitzpatrick (recovery equipment).

Published Thursday 31st October 2019