Log in or Register
Dunston 2
Brooks (17'), Halliday (38')
3 Colne
Scott (6' og), Hughes (57'), Gonzales (87')
Michael Pearson

Emirates FA Cup 3rd QR

Emirates FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round                
Saturday 5th October 2019
Dunston FC  v Colne FC

Attendance 586

Match report by Tom Clark

Dunston were rocked in the 5th minute as Chippendale drove a ball across goal and a wicked  deflection off Craig Scott went past Dryden and in off the far post. Dunston were shaken awake and started to build up pressure on the Colne defence and in the 16 th minute the pressure told as Donaldson in the box tried to play the ball back to his keeper, however Liam Brookes acted instinctively and was first to the ball which he placed, first touch on the turn past Burton and into the net for the equaliser.

Dunston took the lead on 37 minutes as some clever approach player by Page and Pearson allowed Callum Smith to play in Dan Halliday who stroked the ball past the stranded Burton for 2 - 1.

The lead was almost increased on 43 as Cedwyn Scott fed Michael Pearson whose shot was deflected by Pugh for a corner. Dunston led 2-1 at half time.

In the second half Dunston were slower to react and a resurgent Colne had an opportunity on 54 as Hughes headed over from a Chippendale cross and on 56, along punt from the Colne defence saw Hughes following in as Dryden came out to smother, Dryden fumbled the ball allowing Hughes to place the ball into the Dunston net for the equaliser.

Dunston were searching for another goal as the resurgent Colne improved their play and tightened up their defence to protect their goal on 63 Page fired wide after being played in by Heslop. Colne started asking questions of the Dunston defence and on 69 Hughes fired a 20 yard free kick over the bar, then on 77 Gonzales fired a shot just over the bar from 18 yards out. It was looking as though the game was heading for the replay when the referee gave Colne a debatable free kick on the halfway line, Azam fired the kick into the Dunston area and Gonzales met it with a header over Dryden and dipped into the Dunston net.

Dunston looked defeated and only had one further chance as the game went into 4 minutes of added time when Heslop tried a 30 yard volley which went wide of the target.

Colne held out to win 3 - 2 Dunston had started the game without Dan Capewell and Michael Hall both suspended, Jack Elliott cup tied and Dan Lowther injured but were still able to produce a strong line up. Colne are also in the North West BetVictor Northern Premier League and are currently (after 6 games), 2 places and 2 points above Dunston.

Colne brought with them a good following support who were in good voice belting out songs in the stands throughout the game especially when they went ahead. Their team to their credit never gave up hope like their fans and progressed to the next round.

Dunston FC: Dryden, Marrs, Halliday, Pearson, Grant-Soulsby, Scott (Cg), Smith (Thear 57), Page, Scott (Ced) (Fitzpatrick 57), Heslop, Brookes (Elliott (Cal) 76), Subs not used: Harrison, Wright.

Colne FC: Burton, Azam, Pugh, Coveney, Makinson, Hollins, Donaldson (Poscha 42), Hughes, Gonzales, Hazeldine (Harrris 74), Chippendale (Hesler-Cregg). Subs not used: Coleman, Knox, Thorpe.

Dunstons Man of the Match: Michael Pearson awarded by Paul Dixon, Radio Newcastle

Next Home Game: Buildbase FA Trophy v Ossett United FC.on12 October 2019 3:00 KO         

Published Sunday 6th October 2019