Log in or Register
Consett 1
Carr (14')
1 Dunston
Fitzpatrick (60')
FA Cup

Consett AFC vs Dunston FC                
FA Cup Extra preliminary Round
Saturday 10th August 2019

Match report by Danny Whalen.

Both sides will need to do it all over again on Tuesday night following a 1-1 draw. A goal in the first half from Consett ’s Luke Carr gave the home side the lead going into the break whilst a second half strike from Mark Fitzpatrick maintains Dunston ’s presence in the competition. Summer conditions in Consett were a mix of ferocious winds, dark clouds and rain showers. The first half seemed to go the way of Consett, the hosts quick to take the game to Dunston, carving out three good chances in the opening 5 minutes with former Dunston midfielder Jake Stafford and Ali Alshabeeb going close for The Steelmen.

Dunston did create chances in the opening stages, Luke Page mis-cueing a shot wide from Mark Fitzpatrick ’s clever lay off. Fitzpatrick again done well to hold-off his marker only for Liam Brooks to see his close range effort saved by the legs of Consett keeper Kyle Hayes.

The home side took the lead on 13 minutes; Jake Stafford ’s cross from wide on the left picking out Ali Alshabeeb with Karl Dryden saving his effort, Luke Carr was the quickest player to react as he slid in to finish.

A goal had been coming given the frantic pace of the opening stages of the game. Dunston went close to levelling the game on 27mins, Andrew Grant-Soulsby attempting an audacious overhead kick from a corner which went wide of the Consett goal. Consett ’ s control of the middle of the park had created issues, a Jake Stafford curling effort on 30 minutes was just wide of the top corner as Dunston survived the scare. Dunston ’s best chances of going into the break level came from a Dan Lowther free kick, his effort having the pace taken off it by the force of the wind. Whilst on the break Kyle Hayes was to deny Luke Page his well drilled low shot saved by the legs of the keeper.

Michael Pearson tackles the ball from Consett

Consett had a chance to increase their advantage before the break, however  Luke Carr ’s effort was put into the trees at the back of the ground rather than the back of the net. On the balance of play Consett deservedly went into half time leading, albeit with a slender advantage. At half time Chris Swales made changes for Dunston, in a move that may have raised the eyebrows of some supporters, he elected to switch Craig Scott up front in what  proved to be a tactical masterstroke. Callum Smith coming off  due to injury as his replacement Dan Capewell partnered Andrew  Grant-Soulsby in the centre of defence.

Trailing by a single goal at half time and with the conditions more in their favour there was a sense that Dunston could force something from the game. Mark Fitzpatrick thought he had levelled for the away side. Liam Brooks picking out Craig Scott whose pass saw the keeper rushing out to challenge Luke Page’s sliding effort, Hayes fumbled to the feet of Fitzpatrick who lashed a first time shot into the roof of the net. However after much consternation the officials deemed that a foul had occurred on the the keeper and chalked off what seemed to be a legitimate goal. Incised at the decision, this seemed to give Dunston the lift they needed.

With the next attack, a deft flick around the defence from Craig Scott played in Fitzpatrick, his first touch was delicate and the forward made no mistake with his finish to draw the two sides level on 60 minutes. Craig Scott got on the end of a Karl Dryden wind assisted pass which was pumped long into Consett ’s half.

Craig Scott and Mark Fitzpatrick celebrate Mark's equaliser.
From the resulting corner, Dan Capewell rose above his marker at the back post only to see his headed effort narrowly go over the bar. The big defender was up again shortly after from yet another corner as Dunston asserted themselves in the game. Craig Scott was creating serious issues for the Consett defence, winning balls that he had no right to, his strength, presence and ability to  hold up the ball against defenders was reminiscent of legendary Dunston forward Steven Preen. Captain Dan Halliday flashed a long range effort in on the Consett goal only to be denied. Consett, although under pressure, looked capable of springing a counter attack on a few occasions, Dan Capewell doing well to block a Luke Carr effort, the forward having got on the end of a  Darren Holden cross.

Dunston thought they’d taken the lead on 77minutes only for the linesman to flag Mark Fitzpatrick off-side with the forward wheeling away in celebration. The game turned slightly tempestuous, Consett ’s Nick Allen booked for a deliberate foul on Liam Marrs, as the full backs running was halted having done well to knock the ball past him. Michael Pearson received a caution for a dangerous tackle which on other occasions may have merited a red card.  

Consett missed a guilt edged chance on 80 minutes, Luke Carr ’s diving header going wide of the near post from close range having found himself unmarked in the six yard box from a Calvin Smith cross. Craig Scott went close for the visitors again, a  superb cross field ball from Dan Halliday picking out Michael Pearson only for Kyle Hayes to prevent the big defender from giving Dunston the lead.

With minutes remaining Craig Scott won the ball at the back stick from a corner only for Andrew Grant-Soulsby to put his headed effort from close range agonisingly over the bar. Kyle Hayes ensured the game went to a replay as he bravely collected Craig Scott ’ s effort from yet another corner.

Final Score: Consett AFC - 1 (Carr 14’ ) Dunston FC - 1 (Fitzpatrick 60 ’)

Dunston UTS FC Supporters Club Man of The Match: Craig Scott.

Attendance: 451.

Lines ups:-
Consett AFC - Hayes, Metz, Holden, Slocombe, Purewal (C), Jakab, Alshabeeb (Allen), Smith, Ardealean, Carr, Stafford (Hawkins) Subs not used: Wilkinson, Russell, McGeoch, Sloan, Brown.

Dunston FC: Dryden, Marrs, Halliday (C), Lowther (Da Silva), Scott, Grant-Soulsby, Smith (Capewell), Pearson, Fitzpatrick, Page, Brooks (Elliott). Subs not used: Lawrence, Heslop.

63 Match pictures can be viewed here

Published Tuesday 17th September 2019 (last updated Wednesday 25th September 2019)