Dunston UTS v Worksop Town
FA Vas R2
11th November 2017
Report By T.C.

Dunston Dreams are Thwarted...

In the second round of the FA Vase, Dunston entertain NCEL Premier League side Worksop Town, Worksop are currently 8th in their league with 9 win & 3 draws from their 17 games played . Dunston are currently 5th in the EBAC Northern League Division 1 with 11 wins and 1draw from their 18 games after a disappointing defeat midweek away to Bishop Auckland by 2 goals to 1.


Recently Dunston have suffered from injuries to several players and although some are now available, Dale Burrell, Dan Capewell, James Martin, and Kelvin Thear all still injured, leaving Manager Chris Swailes with a depleted squad to choose from.

Dunston UTS: Grant, Elliott, Halliday, Lowther, Pollock, Hall, Elliott, Stafford, Thear L, Fitzpatrick, Heslop, Rundle (Anderson). Subs not used: ,Hiftle, Harrison, Jones, Swailes

Worksop Town: Alexander, Hodder, Hill, Thompson, Liversidge, Varley, Turner, Wooley, Denton (Jepson), Currie (Jordan) Bishop. Subs not Used: Higginson, Wankiewics, Feilding

The games started after a two minute silence in remembrance of the fallen heroes in the two world wars and more recent encounters which was respected by all of the 368 crowd, bolstered by a large contingent from Worksop..Dunston settled quickly and put early pressure on the Worksop defence who held strong and prevented opportunities for the Dunston forwards to shoot. On 9, Worksop got the first shot as Wooley fired in from 25 yards but it rose over the crossbar. Dunston replied as Stafford fed Thear on the right wing into the box, his shot from 15 yards hit the near post side netting. On 11, Dunston were denied a blatant penalty appeal as Fitzpatrick was pushed in the back as he went to control a ball, but the referee only 10 yards away did not whistle. As the play warmed up on a bitterly cold day, hall headed a Worksop  cross from Turner  over the bar.

FA Vase R2 

From the corner by Wooley, Hill  headed wide of the target. On 20, Thear on the right played in a cross that Alexander collected well, a minute laterStafford fired in a 25 yard shot just wide of the post. On 23, Elliott played in a cross that was headed behind for a corner, Rundles corner was collected high by Alezander. After 28 Bishop fired a 30 yard wide of the Dunston goal. 3 minutes later, Heslop saw his 20 yard shot deflected but Alexander did well to dive to his right and save. On 40 Heslop was again denied as his header from a Hall free kick was saved by Alexander. Two minutes later Elliott played into Fitzpatrick whose first touch volley went just over the cross bar. As the game entered added time another Heslop headed effort from a Rundle corner was collected by Alexander.

Half Time Score: Dunston UTS 0 Worksop Town 0

Worksop came out firing in the second half and Heslop prevented a Wooley shot from the edge of the box with a good tackle on 47, however a minute later Worksop scored what proved to be the winning goal as Denton was played clear into the Dunston box and calmly placed a low shot past Grant and into the far corner of the goal. Dunston replied on 50 as Staffordshire header from 20 yards bounced through to Alexander. On 55, Fitzpatrick won a corner on the left taken by Rundle which found Hall at the back post, Hall beat 2 men but could not find space to fire in a shot on goal. On 58, Heslop won a challenge with Liversidge from a Grant clearance 25 yards out, the ball fell to Fitzpatrick whose shot went across goal and just past the far post. On 61,  long throw by Grant was headed on by Fitzpatrick to Heslop who was challenged 20 yards out and the ball was cleared. Within a minute Fitzpatrick fired in a cross which was headed behind for a corner.

FA Vase R2 

In  a rare Worksop attack on 68, Bishop fired a 40 yard shot off target. On 69, Thear was denied an opportunity as his effort was blocked by Hill. On 71, Heslop was fouled 30 yards out but Lowther’s free kick hit the wall and was cleared. On 78, a Varley long throw, long in getting to take it and in length, into the Dunston box was cleared out to Wooley who fired wide of the target. On 82, a Halliday cross was collected by Alexander under challenge by Heslop. As the game entered the final minutes of normal time Heslop saw his shot from 8 yards blocked and cleared, a minute later a Hall free kick was headed behind for a corner, on 89, a Lowther free kick from the touchline was claimed high by Alexander before his 30 yard shot went just wide of the post on 90 minutes.

The referee indicated 5 minutes of added time and Worksop did use them up taking 3 throws by Varley into the corner flag  preventing Dunston fro creating chances until the final minute when play broke and a final Dunston effort by Heslop was blocked and cleared as the referee ended the game

Final Score: Dunston UTS 0  Worksop Town 1

In summary this was a missed opportunity to win this game through not testing the opposition goalkeeper enough, yes we had shots but not enough on target, to.be far to Worksop their defence was very good at blocking and preventing clear cut opportunities. Dunston were caught napping after the half time break allowing Denton the space to score the winning goal which Worksop then concentrated their efforts on defending, wasting time at every opportunity.

Dunston UTS Man of the Match: Michael Hall, despite being cautioned early in the game Michael was a lynch pin in defence alongside Pollock, while once again causing problems in the opposition box from free kicks and corners. Mark Ftzpatrick ran all day as a single forward up front and was unfortunately off target with his shots while Callum Elliott had an afternoons battle against Bishop which he won but it was a busy day for him.

Match pictures

Next home Game: v Penrith on Saturday  18th November 2017 3:00 KO

Next game: v Newton Aycliffe Away on Tuesday 14th November 2017 7:45 KO