Dunston UTS v Whitey Bay

Report by Billy Montague

Tuesday 14th August 2018

Ebac Northern League – First Division

Final Score:  Dunston UTS  8  Whitley Bay  0

Attendance 291


Dunston welcomed old friends Whitley Bay to the UTS Stadium for their first home fixture of the season in the Ebac Northern League First Division. Both Clubs were in a good frame of mind after impressive away victories in the

Emirates FA Cup at the weekend. Whitley Bay manager Andy Gowens brought a squad with a fresh look about them

after his hard work during the summer saw him recruit several very promising young players. Chris Swailes named an unchanged team despite some players carrying minor knocks and was still without the injured Michael Hall.


Dunston UTS: Dryden, Marrs (Elliott C), Halliday, Stafford, Grant-Soulsby, Capewell, Thear L, Pearson (Haley), Fitzpatrick, Brooks (Heslop), Elliott J. Subs not used: Harrison, Nellis.


Whitley Bay: Flynn, Redford A, Cooper, Redford R (Ross), Taylor, Caines, Glen-Ravenhill, Carr (Martin), Taggart,

Foalle, Salmon (Brannen).Subs not used: Hall, Hassan.


The game kicked off on a warm but cloudy evening with Dunston UTS showing their early intent by attacking from

the off and after only two minutes visiting keeper Tom Flynn was call into action to make a smart save to deny Mark Fitzpatrick. Disaster struck Whitley Bay after 4 minutes when one of the central defenders knocked a square ball

beyond the stranded Flynn and straight into the path of Liam Brooks who had the simple task of slotting home to

open the scoring. 1 – 0.


Dunston kept pressing after this early gift and in the 8th minute Flynn made a fine save from a Liam Brooks low shot. Whitley battled back and the impressive Kevin Carr made space for himself on the edge of the Dunston box but his

firm shot flew over Karl Dryden’s goal. The home side encreased their lead on 17 minutes when some excellent play

on the left between Jack Elliott and Liam Brooks set up Mark Fitzpatrick who cleverly beat his marker before shooting past Flynn. 2 – 0.


Dunston kept their foot firmly on the pedal and went close again on 20 minutes when a Dan Halliday overlap and

cross on the left was inches away from finding Mark Fitzpatrick at the far post. Bay almost pulled a goal back in the

21st minute when Luke Salmon set up Kevin Carr whose superb low drive crashed back off Karl Dryden’s right-hand

post with the ball rebounding to safety.


The visitors pressed again three minutes later and appealed for a spot-kick when Jack Foalle went down under a challenge in the Dunston box but the referee awarded the home side a free-kick and cautioned Foalle for simulation.

Two minutes later, a Fitzpatrick shot was deflected and Liam Brooks shot home for his second goal. 3 – 0.


Brooks left the field five minutes later to be substituted by Scott Heslop and it didn’t take long for the new arrival to

make an impression. He burst through on 32 minutes and shot just wide then he latched onto a long throw on 38 minutes to slot under Flynn. 4 – 0.


Half-Time Score:  Dunston UTS  4    Whitley Bay  0


Whitley Bay were forced to make a substitution at half-time with Oliver Martin replacing the impressive Kevin Carr. As the second-half got under way, it seemed that the main danger to Dunston UTS seemed to be complacency against a team that maybe hadn’t got the breaks in the first-half.


This fear was short-lived however, as they went on the offensive from the off. The lead was increased further on 49

minutes when a great through-ball by Michael Pearson set Mark Fitzpatrick sprinting in on goal and he expertly

hammered past the exposed Tom Flynn into the bottom left corner of the net. 5 – 0.


Bay never gave up the ghost and continued to break out whenever the opportunity arose but they were finding the solid home defence in determined mood. Dunston were always a danger with Liam Thear on the right flank and Jack

Elliott on the left always probing and stretching the visitors’ back line. On 62 minutes Thear made a great run past two

defenders on the right and tricked his way to the bye-line before sending over a dangerous low cross and Scott Heslop was only inches away from turning into an empty net.


In the 65th minute Bay number nine Dan Taggart broke through onto a Peter Glen-Ravenhill pass but his shot skidded low past the far post. Liam Thear made another forceful run on the right on 68 minutes and was fouled to halt his progress.


When he delivered the free-kick himself, the ball found its way to Dunston central defender Andrew Grant-Soulsby in front of goal and he was able to stab home. 6 – 0.


In Dunston’s next attack Thear wreaked havoc again, cutting into the box before cutting the ball back to the penalty

spot to Jack Elliott who sent in a pile-driver which Tom Flynn somehow diverted over his crossbar for a fruitless

corner. On 72 minutes Dunston were awarded and penalty for a foul in the box but Mark Fitzpatrick spurned his hat-

trick by blasting the spot-kick against the bar with a defender hacking clear. The respite only lasted two minutes as

Thear was at it again, going past two Bay players before chipping to Jack Elliott who headed over the diving Flynn

and into the top corner. 7 – 0.


The next chance of an unbelievable game fell to Whitley substitute Kieran Brannen in the 78th minute when he shot

just past the angle after good work by Jack Foalle set up the opportunity. The final goal of the game arrived in the 83rd minute and was probably the best of the lot. A superb exchange of passes between Mark Fitzpatrick, Scott Heslop and Liam Thear freed up Jack Elliott to run into the box before slamming past the excellent but bewildered Tom Flynn. 8 – 0.


The Whitley Bay players had given their all but must have been relieved that the referee brought proceeding to halt after only two minutes of stoppage time.


Full-Time Score:  Dunston UTS  8   Whitley Bay  0


Dunston’s Man of the Match: Liam Thear – Despite not getting on the score-sheet, Liam made a welcome return to top form after suffering from an injury in the past few games. He was back to his powerful best and was a constant threat to the visitors’ defence. Another first-class team performance with every member of the squad playing their part. The goals flowed but the most encouraging thing is the team-spirit and willingness to work for each other that exists in the whole squad.


  Dunston UTS man of the match, Liam Thear.  
  Video highlights