Dunston UTS v West Auckland
Northern League Division One
24th February 2018
Attendance 159
Report By T.C.

Dunston welcomed West Auckland to the UTS Stadium for their EBAC Northern League Division 1 fixture, West are playing really strong football and have been hovering in and around the top 6 in the league standings especially as they have had only 2 defeats and 3 draws  in their last 10 competitive games since Christmas. Dunston who drew 2-2 with West in the Durham County Challenge Cup before going through on penalties, will be looking to go one better and move up the league.


Manager Chris Swailes has an almost full squad to choose from with the exception of David Hiftle injured and long term injury to Dan Capewell, with Niall Harrison fit to start.


Dunston UTS: Harrison, Marrs, Halliday, Stafford (Thear K 80), Pollock (Thear K 45),  Hall, Pearson, Burrell, Fitzpatrick (Martin 45), Heslop (Fiaola 81),  Thear L. Subs not Used: Elliott, Grant.


West Auckland Town:  Bland, Morris, Cobain, Colquhoun, Parker, Dodds, Bell (Doniger 72), McKeown, Fisher, Mitchell (Richardson 52), Wearmouth (Purewal 72). Subs not Used: Wade, Fortune.


The game started cagily with both defences being strong but it was West who settled first and on 7 Morris was denied as his shot from 20yards was blocked and then his second attempt went wide of the target. With Dunston not settled up front it was West again on 16 who created another chance as Stafford blocked a shot from 25yards from Wearmouth after Stafford had made a poor clearance. On 21, Dunston created heir first positive chance as Burrell crossed from the right, Fitzpatrick flicked on bout the ball went across the West Box to safety.


On 25 Pearson had an attempted volley from 6 yards, blocked and as the ball retuned to him he pulled the ball across the West area only to see it cleared. On 28, Pearson was again in for a chance as his shot from 12 yards was blocked, the rebound went to Stafford whose shot was also blocked and cleared. On 29, West took the lead as Fisher was forced to travel across the box 18 yards out, his clever check caught out the Dunston defence wrong footed and his left foot shot went into the net past a stranded Harrison. Dunston tried a quick reply but Burrell had just strayed offside as Fitzpatrick played him into the box. On 40, West almost doubled their lead as Fisher played in Bell whose shot went wide into the side netting. Just before half time a Pearson free kick from the right saw Fitzpatrick denied as Bland collected on his line.


Half Time Score: Dunston UTS. 0-1 West Auckland Town


The second half saw a Dunston substitution of found Burrell at the back post, his header was collected by Bland. West Auckland cleared the ball up field and the ball eventually found Fisher in space and his run into the box, and around Harrison, saw his final side footed shot enter the net for his second goal of the game after 47 minutes. On 58, Burrell played through Liam Thear on goal but the quick thinking Bland came out to collect injuring himself in the process as he collided with Thear. On 61, Martin had a free kick from 20yards out, saved lowdown by Bland.


On 64, Liam Thear played the ball into Burrell his pull back to Martin was fired on target but was deflected for a corner. On 67 a Martin cross went over Liam Thear and across the West goal to safety. Again on 70, Martin saw his shot from 20 yards out go wide of the target. A minute later Pearson fired in a free kick to Burrell who shot from 12 yards out only for Bland to save low down. On 76 Fisher had a chance to make it three but his shot from 18 yards went wide and a minute later Doniger played a ball through to Fisher again but this time his shot went high over the Dunston cross bar. There were no further notable chances as the game proceeded to the final whistle.


Full Time Score: Dunston UTS. 0-2 West Auckland Town


The game was competitive in midfield and both defences had the upper hand and the big difference between the sides was the skilful work of the West Auckland captain Nathan Fisher who took his two goals well, Dunston tried but could not break through the West defence on the day.


Dunston’s Man of the Match:  Michael Pearson – Michael put in a shift and could have scored with a bit of luck which seemed to have deserted Dunston today,  good performances by the Dunston back four who did not make any real errors but were beaten by the skill of Fisher on two occasions

Video Highlights


Next game  Home to Hartlepool United, Tuesday 27 February 2018 in the Durham County Challenge Cup Semi Final with a 7:30 KO.