Dunston into the next round...

5th August 2017

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round
Washington FC 0
Dunston UTS 3
Att 148

Dunston travelled to Washington for their first competitive game of the season in the Extra Preliminary Round of the
FA Cup. The Washington ground was looking in good condition for the game. Dunston manager Chris Swailes was without Dan Capewell, through injury, and Richie Slaughter, who has recently left the club.

Line ups:-

Washington: Gladstone, Evans, Parker, Gardener, Laws, White, Edwards (Shaw 62), Pickard, Pilatos, Jewson
(Dent 86), Whitehouse (Williamson 45). Subs not used: Sands, Wood.

Dunston UTS: Grant, Elliott, Haliday, Dobes, Jones, Hall, Thear (Anderson 68), Burrell, (Pearson 82), Fitzpatrick (Heslop 77), Stafford, Rundle. Subs not used: Drane, Swailes.

Dunston started well and almost took the lead on 5 minutes as Rundle was played in on the left wing but after his run into the box his final square ball towards Fitzpatrick was cut out and cleared. Two minutes later it was Fitzpatrick who laid a ball off to Thear who hammered in a shot off the cross bar and into the net for 1-0 to Dunston.

v Washington 

Dunston continued to apply pressure and on 10, the referee awarded an indirect free kick, from 6 yards out, for a deliberate pass back to the Washington keeper who caught the ball on his line.The resulting free kick was blocked and cleared by a massed Washington defence. On14, Burrell laid a ball square to Stafford whose shot from 18 yards was pushed over the bar by Gladstone, again on 19 Gladstone made another save after a Thear shot from close range.

On 27, Fitzpatrick got into the Washington goal area but his shot was fired into the side netting. On 32 Washington
had their first positive attempt on the Dunston goal but Edwards shot wide from 22 yards out. On 39, Gladstone again made a great save from a Rundle volley, flicking it over the bar, from the resulting corner Stafford
headed over the bar from 5 yards.

Half Time Score Washington 0 Dunston 2

The second half started in a more sedate fashion as the Washington defence seemed to cope with the Dunston defence, however Grant in the Dunston goal was rarely troubled except for the odd high cross into his area. Dunston got the first chance in the second half on 57, as Haliday played a long free kick, from the halfway line, into the Washington back post area but the in rushing Stafford was just unable to make contact.

v Washington 

On 59, Gladstone again saved Washington as Hall headed a Rundle corner goalwards, by flicking it over the bar. The referee awarded Dunston a penalty on 65, for hand ball as Elliott played a ball into the area. Thear stepped up to place the ball into the net for his, and Dunstons, third goal of the game. Dunston were then able to contain the Washington side from replying except on one occasion when Grant on 84 minutes did well to tip a Jewson shot over the bar to keep a clean sheet and prevent Washington from scoring.

Full Time Score: Washington 0 Dunston 3

Referee, Andrew Kitchen, Assistants, Charlie Ford and Daniel Ranson.

Dunston's Man of the Match: Liam Thear with 3 well taken goals also in contention was Michael Hall with a solid defensive performance.

Match Pictures

Report by T.C.

Next Game: EBAC Northern League Div. 1 at home to Shildon on Tuesday 8 August 2017, 7:30 KO