27th September 2017
Northern League Division One
Stockton Town  3 Dunston UTS 1
Attendance 191

Report By T.C.

Dunston lose to Division One new boys..

Dunston travelled down the A19 to play League new boys Stockton Town in the EBAC Northern League Div 1 game looking to continue their positive start to the season after a positive victory against Washington in the FA Vase last Saturday. Manager Chris Swailes named one different player as Michael Hall returned to replace Carl Jones. On the bench, there were changes as Andy Clark took over from Harrison and Dan Lowther was not available.

The home pitch is a 3G artificial grass surface that was new to the Dunston side this season.

Stockton Town:  Arthur, Carter, Ward, Mulligan, Poole, Cossavella, Hayes, Craggs, Coleman, Owens, Stockton.

Subs Not Used: Mohamed, Jordan.


Dunston UTS: Grant, Elliott, Halliday, Stafford (Hiftle 53), Pollock, Hall, Thear L, Burrell, Fitzpatrick, Heslop, Rundle

(Thear K). Subs not used: Anderson, Jones, Clark.


Dunston started cautiously as the ball was not giving a true bounce making control difficult at times, Dunston got the first chance on 3 minutes, as Burrell controlled, steadied himself and shot from 20 yards making Arthur make a diving save to

push the ball wide of the goal. On 7, Thear laid a ball back to Heslop whose lofted shot went over the bar. On 10, Rundle held the ball up then laid off to Heslop whose shot hit a defender and that deflected to the goalkeeper who collected.  On 16 Stockton replied with their first chance as Coleman received a ball from Craggs and his attempted overhead kick went

wide of the far post.  Stockton came more into the game and 19 almost took the lead as a Chris Stockton cross was

headed against the Dunston cross bar and rebounded to hit Grant who recovered to collect the ball before it went over the line. Dunston replied on 23 as Rundle played in to Fitzpatrick who headed off to Heslop whose shot went wide of the post.


After a foul near the by-line, which saw Pollock cautioned, a Craggs free kick found Owens at the back post, his header back across the box found Mulligan whose header from 6 yards was saved by Grant. Three minutes later Rundle tried a

25 yard shot which was partially blocked and Arthur collected safely. After a period of positive defending by Dunston, Stockton took the lead with a good goal in the 33 minute, as Stockton crossed from the left and Hayes applied a header firmly past Grant from 6 yards out. 2 minutes later Dunston almost got an equaliser as Rundle fired over after Heslop had played the ball back. However, it was Stockton who got the next goal on 37 as Hayes drove at the Dunston defence before playing in Carter who steered a shot past the advancing Grant from 12 yards out. Dunston again went close as an Elliott cross that Carter cleared.


A minute later the 42nd  they did get a goal back as Thear drove a ball low into the near post from 8 yards out beating Arthur and into the net. Just on half time Pollock found his way forward and tried a shot from the right edge of the box which Arthur saved low down at his front post.


Half Time score Stockton Town 2 Dunston UTS 1


Stockton got the first chance in the second half as Hayes shot strongly from the edge of the box into the side netting, on 54, Halliday  forced a save from Arthur from 2 yards out, two minutes later Stockton increased their lead as Chris Stockton fired home from 6 yards after Craggs’ had played the ball to him. On 60, Thear was fouled on the edge of the box Heslop fired the free kick over the bar. On 68, Liam Thear travelled 30 yards from the halfway line before shooting and forcing Arthur to save.


On 72 Fitzpatrick played the ball onto Heslop who stretched to poke a shot on target but Keeper, Arthur deflected the ball wide with an outstretched leg. The game was exchanging from end to end and on 75, Fitzpatrick shot wide from 18 yards

out, 4 minutes later Owens saw his shot  deflected over the bar from 10 yards out by Grant. From the Corner Grant again saved from an Owen header, which rebounded back but was cleared. On 83, Carter played in a low cross, Owen tried to flick goal wards but it went past the far post.  Two minutes later Burrell played in Liam Thear whose shot was blocked by Arthur.


In the 92nd minute Pollock was dismissed after a second yellow card was produced for words he had said to the assistant referee. Before the final whistle, Owen was unlucky to see his effort deflected clear by Grant.


Full Time score Stockton Town 3 Dunston UTS 1


Dunston’s Man of the Match: Dan Halliday who put in a sterling effort to contain the Stockton winger Hayes who was fast over the artificial turf and also being able to support on the overlap  and produce useful balls into the forwards. Dunston however never really mastered the pitch and Stockton were allowed to force pressure on the Dunston defence using the full width of the pitch. This was a case of lessons to be learnt. Unfortunately, it has also ended their unbeaten run when realistically they could on another night got at least a draw.



Next Home Game – ENFL League Div. 1 Saturday 30th September 2017 v Jarrow Roofing with a 3:00 KO