Dunston cannot hang onto lead....

Tuesday 8th August 2017
EBAC Northern League Division 1
Dunston UTS (Blue) 2
Shildon 4
Att 180

Dunston welcomed Shildon for their first league game of the season to the UTS Stadium. Both sides had FA Cup wins last Saturday after Dunston beat Washington 3-0 and Shildon beat Morpeth 2-0. Dunston named an unchanged side except for club skipper Dale Burrellwho was unavailable and his replacement was Michael Pearson.

Dunston UTS:
Grant, Elliott, Halliday, Dobes, Jones, Hall, Thear (Drane 84), Pearson, Fitzpatrick, Stafford (Heslop 88), Rundle (Anderson 77). Subs nut used: Harrison, Swailes.

Liversedge, Harwood, Robson, Dodds, Moore, May, Renyard (Groves 57), Hodgson, Rae (Fenton 89), Burnicle (Gruelich-Smith 79), Peacock. Subs not used: Curl, Grayson

Ref Graeme Hopper, Asisstants Kirk Freeth, Tom Chambers.

Dunston started well and on 3, Thear got in a header from a Rundle free kick going just wide of the near post. On 5, Thear again broke into the box but went too far and his square ball across the goal was cleared. Shildon replied on 7 as Robson shot low through a crowded area and Grant saved. Dunston immediately replied and Fitzpatrick shot from 20 yards was blocked and the rebound came out to Stafford who shot just over the bar. The game evened out and on 12, Burnicle fired over for Shildon. A great chance on 16 fell to Dunston as Stafford headed on to Halliday whose header was saved by the goal keeper.

v Shildon AFC 

Aminute later Thear tried a shot from 20 yards which Liversedge pushed wide. Shildon again replied and Rae tried a 20 yard shot which slipped away from Grant's hands, fortunately for Dunston Jones got back to clear the ball. The game again settled with both sides probing but no great chances coming until the 40th minute when Rae fired in a shot which was deflected wide of the goal for a corner. Calamity struck on 42 as Thear fouled Rae in the box, Robson struck the
penalty kick wide of Grant and it was 1-0 to Shildon.

Dunston almost equalised on 44 as Fitzpatrick laid a ball back to Pearson from the edge of the box, Pearson shot on the volley struck the cross bar, from the rebound Shildon failed to clear their area and Thear tried some twists and turns before being tripped in the area, Fitzpatrick stepped up to fire the ball into the middle of the goal with Liversedge diving to give the equaliser in added time of the first half.

Half Time Score Dunston 1 Shildon 1

Dunston again started brightly and on 47, new boy Dobes sent a volley over the bar from a Halliday cross. On 49, Dunston got the lead as Mark Fitzpatrick laid a ball back to Pearson who fired a great chipped shot into the top far corner of the net. Dunston pressed on and on 56, Rundle put a free kick into the area and Liversedge fumbled the ball but his defence cleared the ball. On 60, Stafford fired a 22 yard free kick into the wall, two minutes later Rundle headed over from a Pearson cross. In a frantic 3 minute spell Fitzpatrick fired wide from 20 yards and agin saw his 15 yard shot deflected for corner and Dobes also shot over the bar from 15 yards.

v Shildon AFC 

On 69 Thear fired in a shot that Liversedge could not collect and Pearson raced in to see his shot deflected for a corner. On 72, Shildon equalised against the run of play as Rae got in behind the defence and fired into the net from 10 yards. Within 3 minutes Shildon almost took the lead as Burnicle received a ball in the centre of the pitch 18 yards out, his rushed shot went wide of the target. On 78, Rae standing at the back post fired into the roof of the net from 4 yards from a deep Shildon free kick. Two minutes later just on as substitute Gruelich- Smith turned an shot a ball past a shell shocked Grant.

v Shildon AFC 

For the remaking 10 minutes of the game Dunston tried to recover but a firm Shildon defence was not to be budged. Tempers frayed on 89 minutes as Stafford and Rae went in for a 50/50 challenge Rae came off with a shin injury and Stafford received a harsh yellow card after Shildon players had harassed the referee. And so the game ended.

Final Score Dunston UTS 2 Shildon 4

Dunston' Man of the Match. Michael Pearson, Michael stood out with his positive play all over the field together with his back up play supporting the forwards, he was rewarded with one great goal but could have got 3 or 4 on another day. He was supported in his efforts by a good team display from the Dunston players who worked hard and but for a poor 10 minute spell in the second half should have earned them at least a draw. More performances like this are required please.

Match pictures

Duntons next home game. Is on Saturday 12th August 2017 against Consett 3:00 PM KO.