Northern League Division One
18th April 2018
Dunston UTS v North Shields
Attendance 217


Fitzpatrick strike beats the Robins...

Dunston welcomed North Shields to the UTS Stadium for their EBAC Northern League Division One match on what has been a good spring day on which the Dunston pitch looks in great condition after the recent bad weather. Dunston are playing their 2nd game in 3 days and are also due to play against Marske tomorrow as the fixture pile up takes its toll. Dunston Manager Chris Swales has made changes to rest players from what is going to be a busy end to the season with 12 games to be played before the 9th of May including the DCC Challenge cup final to be played next Thursday at the Hetton Centre 7:30 KO.

Dunston’s league form recently has stuttered and only shows one draw in the last three games but the performances on

the field have been maintained at a high level and their recent defeat was only in the last minute to Newcastle Benfield by

2 goals to one. North Shields come into the game looking to stop a run of two defeats in their last games, and new manager Marc Nash will be looking to prevent a third defeat in a row.


Dunston UTS: Harrison, Marrs, Halliday, Fowler (Burrell 62), Capewell, Hall, Elliott J, Stafford, Fitzpatrick, Pearson, Fiaola (Thear K 62) Subs not Used: Grant, Thear L, Heslop.


North Shields: McCafferty, Robson,  Donnison, Ormston, Pell, Dodds, Suddick, Richardson (Sampson 82), Harmison, Robinson (Carr  68), Holmes (Bainbridge 82 Subs not Used: Summerley, Eastlake.  


The game started competitively with both sides showing their intent, on 3, Faiola played a cross into the back post which McCafferty claimed high in the air. On 5 Shields fullback Robson went down the right wing and crossed but his effort was blocked and diverted for a corner. On 11, Fitzpatrick raced past his marker on the halfway line but on his approach to the penalty area he stumbled and the chance was lost. On  13, as Dunston put the pressure on, Fitzpatrick got into the box but his shot was deflected for a corner. A minute later Halliday drove a ball into the shields area that was blocked and cleared. Another minute and it was Jack Elliott chasing a ball on the right to the goal-line, his pulled back ball into the centre of goal was cleared at the third attempt by the Shields defence.


On 16, Fitzpatrick played in a cross from the right wing that was just too high for Faiola at the back post to get in his header. Shields replied on 21, as Suddick fired in a cross  which Capewell headed behind for a corner. On 31, Fitzpatrick fired a shot in from 25 yards that McCafferty managed to block and collect at a second attempt. A minute later Pearson was fed into the box his first attempt hit the post from 6 yards and the rebound went into the side netting. Dunston continued to press and on 36 Fiaola saw his shot from 25 yards go just over the bar. Shields recovered and on 38, a Robinson effort from 20 yards was saved by Harrison diving to his left to push wide. On 44, Robson supplied a cross which Capewell had to head clear when back tracking under pressure.


Half Time Score Dunston UTS 0 v 0 North Shields.


The second half saw Shields immediately attacking, on 46 Marrs , at the front post cleared a Suddick corner. Dunston soon got back into the game and on 49 a Lowther free kick fell to Halliday who shot over the bar from 18 yards out. On 53, Harmison broke down the right and Marrs  had to clear his cross to prevent any further issues. On 59, Elliott on the right crossed and Fitzpatrick met it with a header played down to Pearson who shot from 18 just over the bar. On 70, Marrs again cleared a Suddick corner from the front post, two minutes later Marrs fed Burrell at the other end whose shot from 18 yards went into the side netting at the front post.


A minute later Stafford fed a ball through for Fitzpatrick to chase, Pell blatantly pulled him back as he chased and was fortunate only to receive a caution. From the free Kick 25 yards out Fitzpatrick fired his shot just wide of the left hand post. On 82, Elliott fed a ball into Stafford whose shot was blocked and came out to Fitzpatrick who fired a curling shot into the top left hand corner of the net for what proved to be the winner. Shields had a chance on 85 as Marrs had to clear from his six yard box as a rightwing cross came in. On 90 minutes, Thear, on as sub, fed Fitzpatrick who drove a shot in from 20 yards out that went just over the bar. The final chance of the game fell in added on time as Fitzpatrick tried to lob McCafferty, who was 8 yards off his line, from 25 yards only to see the keeper recover and collect the ball.


Full Time Score Dunston UTS 1 v  0 North Shields.


Dunston’s Man of the Match: Mark Fitzpatrick – Mark Battled all game against some hard and strong defensive work by the Shields central defenders, His goal was a worthwhile winner of the game and on another day he may have scored more. Dunston were once again strong in defence especially Capewell and Liam Marrs  who made some great clearances and foraging runs to feed the attackers.


Man of the Match, Mark Fitzpatrick


In summary, Dunston earned a respectable victory with a good performance against a strong North Shield side, despite resting players.

Report by T.C