Dunston UTS 1 West Allotmet Cetic 0
Northern League Cup Round 1
11th October 2017
Report By T.C.


Heslop eventually breaks through resilient Allotment....

Dunston welcomed West Allotment Celtic to the UTS Stadium for their First Round match in the Cameron's Brewery Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup that was rearranged to play at Dunston as Allotment had issues with their floodlights. Dunston have been forced to make changes after their bruising game in the 3-0 victory against Ashington, which saw

Dan Lowther, James Martin and Dale Burrell all collecting injuries and being substituted. Michael Hall, Ben Pollock and

Adam Rundle return to take places in the starting lineup.


Dunston UTS: Grant, Hiftle, Halliday (Thear K 45), Lowther (Stafford 48), Procter, Hall, Elliott, Heslop (Anderson 84), Fitzpatrick, Rundle, Thear L. Subs not Used: Harrison, Swailes.


West Allotment Celtic: Taylor, Martin, Parkinson, Dunn, Ives, Mitchell, Berhan, Chapim, Walker, Laws, Davidson

(Djassi 68). Subs not Used: Whitelaw, Charlton, Gomes, Airedale.


Dunston started well and immediately put the Allotment defence under pressure on 6, a Lowther free kick went just outside the far post, followed 4 minutes later by a Heslop effort that Taylor saved.


Dunston UTS v West Allotment Celtic 


On 13, Thear crossed and Rundle at the back post saw his shot blocked. On 15 Fitzpatrick saw a golden chance to open the scoring as a through ball from Halliday put him 1v1 on the goalkeeper, Fitzpatrick tried to bend it around Taylor but the keeper managed to deflect it away from goal. Allotment were occasionally breaking through but coming up against a solid Dunston defence. Dunson continued to apply pressure and almost took the lead as a low Elliott cross was deflected by Ives onto the goalkeeper and then onto the post before being cleared.


The game continued with Dunston still creating chances but some resilient Defending and goal keeping by Allotment kept the scores level. In the final 3 minutes of the half Allotment almost took the lead through Walker after a neat passing move with Chapim saw  shot from 18 yards go wide and a minute later Laws  tried  a snap shot from 15 yards  go wide of the near post but the score remained level at half time. 


Half Time Score Dunston UTS 0  West Allotment Celtic 0


The second half saw a couple of early substitutions for Dunston but the pressure on the Allotment goal continued, with Allotment having the occasional break but being controlled by the Dunston defence. Kelvin Thear on for Dan Lowther was proving to be a handful for the Allotment defence although Dunston were still not able to beat the goalkeeper Taylor despite several chances from in and around the box. As the game approached the final ten minutes, it was looking as though West Allotment would hold out for the draw and take the game into penalties. 


Dunston UTS v West Allotment Celtic 


On 79 Heslop played a header straight into the keepers arms and a minute later Kelvin Thear rode three tackles before playing a low cross right across the Allotment goal area. Dunston luck changed on 82, as Heslop beat off two challenges

to get into the box one versus one on Taylor, he managed to round Taylor and slip a ball into the net for what turned out to be the winner. Heslop injured his leg in the act of scoring and was replaced by Anderson. Dunston held out until final whistle without giving allotment any real chances to equalise.


Dunston UTS v West Allotment Celtic 


Full Time Score Dunston UTS 1  West Allotment Celtic 0


Dunston deserved their win controlling at least 75% of the possession and Grant competently coped with any shot on his goal, West Allotment were however resilient and without some good saves by Keeper Taylor the score could have been

a lot different.


Dunston’s man of the Match: Callum Elliott,- Callum gave a 100% in his role in midfield in the first half and then at full

back after Dunston had to reorganize with Halliday going off at half time, with a little more care in his shooting he could have scored again after his goal last Saturday. Although the score does not truly reflect the score this was still a competent team performance with Liam & Kelvin Thear both putting in huge performances on the wings and up front Mark Fitzpatrick and Scott Heslop never stopped making spaces and being available to hold up play.


Next game at home to Seaham Red Star on Saturday 14 October 2017

in EBAC Northern League Division 1, 3:00pm KO.