Log in or Register
Hebburn Town 1
Murray (53')
1 Dunston
Pearson (37')

REPORT | Hebburn Town 1 Dunston UTS 1

Dunston picked up a point on the road away at Hebburn. Jon Shaw was sent off in the opening forty-five and Dale Pearson netted to give Dunston the lead at half-time. Hebburn responded well and levelled through Liam Murray with neither side able to find a winner.

Dunston made two changes to the starting XI from Saturday’s draw with Worksop. Carl Finnigan and Jon came into the lineup in place of Jack Elliott and Jude Swailes.

After a quiet beginning to the game, it was the Hornets who came close first after 12 minutes. Amar Purewal was slipped through however, his low shot was guided just off target.

Midway through the first half, a slick passing move from Dunston saw Finnigan almost find the opener as the forward fired just wide. Dale Pearson also had an opportunity just three minutes later as he spotted Shaun Newbrook off his line and the attempted lob was just over the crossbar.

The game began to open up and on the half-hour mark, the hosts could have taken the lead. Dan Staples was called into action and Purewal’s shot on the rebound was off target. A great opportunity.

Unfortunately, Jon Shaw was then shown a straight red card after 33 minutes. The defender was adjudged to bring down Purewal as the last man. The Hebburn forward did look offside in the build-up, but the flag never went up.

Despite the setback, Dunston responded in extraordinary fashion. With 36 minutes on the clock, Dale Pearson was played through on goal and slotted past Newbrook at the near post to give Dunston the lead going into the half-time break.

The second half didn’t start well for Dunston and unfortunately were dealt a huge blow as Hebburn found the equaliser. A long ball caused problems for the Dunston defence and Liam Murray was on-hand to slot a low shot past Staples and get the game back on level terms.

Chris Swailes introduced Jack Elliott, Sado Djalo and Liam Thear midway through the second half to try and turn the game. With fresh legs on the pitch, Richard Coulson came close as he had an effort on goal stopped by Newbrook.

Hebburn were afforded another two half chances towards the end of the game but, neither side were able to find a winner and the points were shared.

Dunston’s next game is a home fixture against Tadcaster Albion this Saturday at The UTS Stadium.

Report by Callum Pattison 

Published Monday 10th April 2023