Log in or Register
Marske United 2
Wheatley (13'), May (90')
1 Dunston
Scott (77' pen)

Marske United v Dunston FC
BetVictor Northern Premier League N/West
26th August 2019.
Attendance 366

Match report by Dan Whalen

Dunston FC made the relatively short away trip to face former fellow Northern League members Marske United on a sun drenched bank holiday Monday. The hosts took the spoils with a 2-1 win to go 3rd in The BetVictor Northern Premier N/West Division whilst Dunston drop down to 11th position.

Marske deservedly went into the break leading 1-0 thanks to a goal from captain Adam Wheatley. Dunston levelled through a composed Cedwyn Scott penalty on 77 minutes. Dunston could feel hard done to, in a game with very few clear cut chances for either side and marred by some questionable decisions from the Match Officials. Marske United were to seal the win right at the end of normal time, an Andrew May looping header at the end on normal time secured all three points for the home side as the game seemed to be heading for a draw. Marske came out the more energetic of the two sides, as Lewis Maloney flashed a shot wide in the opening seconds of the game.

Matthew Garbutt should ’ve punished a Dunston mistake but again the effort was off target as the visitors had yet to get to grips with the pace of the game. Marske’ s pressure eventually paid off on 13 minutes, with the Seasiders forcing a series of corners, a close range overhead kick was blocked by Karl Dryden but Adam Wheatley was quickest to follow up and drilled his effort low into the bottom corner. Marske were winning second balls and controlling the game as Dunston looked off the pace. Dunston were struggling to string passes together and form any kind of rhythm as Marske closed down quickly and seemed to win the majority of second balls. So far it had been a scrappy looking contest.

On 22 minutes Dunston defender Craig Scott was forced to leave the field of play, clashing in an aerial challenge he was eventually replaced by Michael Hall. Dunston eventually come into the game, a quick passing game along the deck forcing Marske to chase the ball. As Dunston pushed to get into the game, Marske always posed a threat on the break, attempting to spring balls over the top and into channels Cedwyn Scott ran onto a smart Fitzpatrick through ball, he skilfully dummied and faked his shot numerous times, looking for chance to open up the shot, Jack Norton was at hand for Marske to prevent Dunston scoring in what had been their first real effort on goal.

In the closing stages of the first half, Adam Wheatley narrowlyheaded over from close range for Marske, the home sides delivery from wide areas had caused issues throughout the first half as Dunston were yet to show in wide areas. In the closing minutes, former Dunston keeper Jack Norton flapped at a Callum Elliott cross, a Marske defender then looping his attempted clearance up and out for a corner. As Marske struggled to clear the resulting corner, the ball fell to Michael Pearson who lashed a volley wayward on the edge of the 18 yd box.

Dunston needed to start the second half brighter than they had the first. Cedwyn Scott had the ball in the net in within a minute of the re-start, Luke Page played in a superb pass from deep, a Mark Fitzpatrick flick on was well read by the former Dundee FC youngster, however the referee deemed Fitzy to be offside and had blown before the ball was in the net. Dunston Manager Chris Swailes decided on a tactical change 10 minutes into the second half, replacing Liam Brooks with Scott Heslop and moving to three up top in an attempt to breakthrough what had been an impervious Marske Utd backline.

Cedwyn Scott had an effort blocked by Norton from a narrow angle as the forward shimmied with defenders around him as Dunston pushed for an equaliser. Curtis Round flashed an effort wide of Dunston ’s upright as Marske looked to quickly hit on the break. Callum Elliott with cynically challenged by two Marske defenders, going down under a late challenge as he was seemingly ready to break down the line.

Controversially the Official took no action as the winger was forced from the field of play. As a result Dunston were forced into replacing Elliott with Dan Wright. Cedwyn Scott was fouled and Lewis Maloney blocked his attempt to quickly take the free kick, a tussle ensued between both players with Scott thrown to the ground, with the Official bizarrely deciding to book both players. Dunston levelled on 77 minutes through a Cedwyn Scott penalty, having been dragged down in the box the youngster stepped up to confidently lash the spot kick into the bottom corner as Norton guessed the wrong way.

Dunston pushed for the lead, a Scott Heslop flick on found an on running Fitzpatrick, his strike was saved and the forward was called for off-side. Dunston had done little with their set pieces throughout the game to create any serious issues for the hosts to deal with. In a game of very few clear cut chances the good would be defined by a set piece. Marske substitute Stephenson flashed a ball across goal having been well marshalled by Dan Halliday, however no Marske player was on the end of the ball to take advantage of the situation.

On the break, Marske fans were incensed by a challenge on Louis Johnson, Capewell appeared to be the last man and the forward went down, the referee deciding to play on as the forward made the most of the challenge in a ruse to take an advantage in the game. In the final minutes, and with the game seemingly heading for a draw, Marske were awarded a free kick, the ball was played in to the back post, Andrew May rose the highest above those around him to loop his headed effort over Karl Dryden and into the net to give the home side a 2-1 lead.

The goal coming in controversial circumstances, an earlier foul on Cedwyn Scott had been ignored and the goal scorer had been at the heart of the challenge on Callum Elliott. Dunston were understandably aggrieved at the result however too many players had been off the boil against a side who could be a strong force in this division. The relentless heat was energy sapping and having to play two games in three days would ’ ve maybe taken it
out of a lot of the players.

Dunston FC line up: Dryden, Marrs, Halliday (C), Pearson, Craig Scott (Hall), Capewell, Elliott (Wright), Page, Fitzpatrick, Cedwyn Scott, Liam Brooks (Heslop). Subs not used: Lowther, Harrison.

Dunston UTS FC Supporters Club Man of the Match: Cedwyn Scott.

Cedwyn Scott is proudly sponsored by:
FACT - Fighting all Cancers Together (Home kit)
Impact Bathrooms @Tradesneeds (Away kit).
Dunston UTS FC Supporters Club (recovery equipment)

Published Tuesday 17th September 2019 (last updated Tuesday 11th February 2020)