Jarrow Roofing v Dunston UTS
Northern League Division One
17h February 2018
Report By T.C.

Dunston recover to draw at Roofing....

Dunston travelled to Boldon to play against a resurgent Jarrow Roofing side who had a very positive result in midweek

5 -1 at home against Washington while Dunston have again been missing games due to the cold and rainy weather causing postponements and losing positions in the  league as other teams around them were still gaining points.

Dunston had the misfortune goalkeeper Niall Harrison who was injured during the warm up and had to be replaced by Aidan Grant with Dan Lowther being added to the bench. Roofing on paper had a very strong forward line including John Campbell recently signed from Whitby Town.


Jarrow Roofing: Newbrook, Martin O, Walton, Marshall, Myers, Kerr, Gardiner, Vipond (Fisher 80), Knight,  Anderson (McArdle 46), Campbell (Winn 66). Subs not Used: Varga, Hudson.


Dunston UTS: Grant, Marrs, Halliday, Pearson, Pollock (Thear K 45),  Hall, Thear L, Burrell, Fitzpatrick, Heslop (Stafford 64), Martin J. Subs not Used: Elliott, Fiaola, Lowther.


The game started scrappily with Roofing applying pressure and Anderson fired a shot wide from 25yards out in the first

minute and then Kerr headed over from a Knight corner in the third minute, Dunston were finding it difficult to get into

their short passing game on the uneven ground with passes going short or bouncing off as players tried to control the ball.


On 8, Thear was played in by Heslop, Thear shot from 12yards out in to the near post side netting. The scrappy play

continued as both side struggled to settle. On 17, Burrell tried a 40 yard shot that went past the far post.


As Dunston settled on 26, Thear fed Fitzpatrick out on the right wing his shot come cross went over the far post and crossbar. On 28, Martin Oliver fired a shot come cross past the Duston goal.


A minute later it was James Martin fed by Liam Thear into the box, however he was pulled back by a defender- no whistle came from the referee, and Newbrook came out to smother at Martin’s feet. On 31, Heslop fed James Martin again this time his shot from 12 yards was blocked by Oliver Martin and the ball was cleared. On 38, Marrs fired a shot over the bar from 30yards out.


Just before half time Grant collided with Pollock as they both attempted to clear a long ball some 10 yards out his box leaving Pollock prone on the floor as Halliday cleared the danger.  As the game went into added time  Pearson played a free kick from the left into the Roofing area, Burrell rose well and headed on towards Fitzpatrick at the back post who could not get the finishing touch. 


Half Time Score: Jarrow Roofing 0 – 0 Dunston UTS.


The second half saw a Dunston substitution of Pollock replaced by Kelvin Thear with Halliday moving into the centre of defence and James Martin going into left back. Dunston continued to apply the pressure on the Roofing defence and on 48 Liam Thear was held by a defender on the edge of the box, just outside according to the referee, the free kick went over the cross bar. Roofing replied and on 52 they won a corner on their left wing, the Dunston defence were unable to clear Knight corner kick as the tall Myers directed his header  from 6 yards into the net and give Roofing the lead 1-0.  Dunston immediately were on the attack and on 53, Liam Thear fired a shot from 15 yards and Newbrook saved, two minutes later Pearson fired in a cross and again Newbrook held on to the ball preventing the Dunston forwards.


On 57, Kerr tried a shot from the halfway line and Grant did well to tip the ball wide as the low sun was directly in his

eyes, from the corner taken by Knight, Oliver Martin could only direct his header over the Dunston bar. On 59, Campbell

forced a good low save from Grant at the base of his post. Dunston recovered and again forced play and on 65, Burrell

played a cross into the roofing 6 yard area and Fitzpatrick was on hand to head h home the equalizer for Dunston. On 67, Knight fired a shot at the back post into the side netting. Again on 76 it was Roofing who created problems as another Knight corner found Winn whose header on target was deflected over the cross bar.


On 80 Winn was off target as Knights shot was deflected to him and his shot went across the goal and past the post. As the game went into added time Dunston almost got a winner as Fitzpatrick beat his marker and laid off to Liam Thear whose shot from 10yards was blocked, 2 minutes later a Marrs free kick found Burrell at the back post but his header went just wide of the post.


Full Time Score: Jarrow Roofing 1 - 1 Dunston UTS  


Dunston had the better of play but could not apply the finishing shots on target and trouble the Roofing keeper

Newbrook,  he deserved at least a point. Jarrow Roofing provided a solid resistance to the Dunston attacks and with the help of some poor referee decisions were able to keep Dunston at bay. 


Dunston’s Man of the Match:  Dale Burrell – Dale continually urged his side forward and on another day could have scored goals, the Dunston defence was pushed at times in the second half after the loss of Pollock but they stuck to their task and kept the Roofing attacks to a minimum. 


Video Highlights 


Next game Home to West Auckland on Saturday 24 February 2018 in the Northern League Division 1 with a 3:00 KO.