Dunston UTS v Washington FC
FA Vase 2QR
23rd September 2017
Report By T.C.

Dunston go nap in Vase..

Dunston welcomed Washington to the UTS Stadium for their FA Vase cupfixture. This would be the third fixture between
the clubs this season the previous 2 being at Washington when Dunston won 3-0 in the FA Cup andthen 2-0 in the league, although Dunston won these games they were closer than the results show and you can be sure that the

Washington side will be trying to get a victory. To try and make it 8 victories in a row,

Dunston manager Chris Swailes has made changes to his team, Michael Hall is away on holiday and Carl Jones steps in, Dan Lowther makes way for the fit again Jake Stafford and Steven Anderson makes way for the available Liam Thear after being absent for a nose operation.

Dunston UTS: Grant, Elliott, Halliday, Stafford (Thear K 74), Pollock, Jones, Thear L (Anderson 74), Burrell, Fitzpatrick, Heslop, Rundle (Lowther 82). Subs not Used: Harrison, Hiftle.

Washington:Gladstone, Evans, Parker, Gardener, Laws, White, Fisher (Greiveson 65), Waters, Wilson (Sands 69), McArdle, Pickford (Dent 90). Subs nut Used: Brown, Pilatos.

Referee: Steven Lennon, Newcastle.

Both sides respected each other in the early stages, Burrell fired a shot from 25 yards that Gladstone collected after an awkward bounce. On 4, Waters tried his luck from 35 yards the shot going over the bar. After 5, Burrell was played up the line and after wrong footing former Dunston player Laws he played the ball across the six yard box to Fitzpatrick who
hammered a shot which Gladstone could only deflect slightly as it went into the net for 1-0 to Dunston. On 9, Stafford fired over from 30 yards out.


Once again the game steadied as both teams still gave each other too much respect and passes were going astray. On 19, Heslop saw his shot deflect off Fitzpatrick and away from the goal, two minutes later Pollock was blocking a shot from Waters at the other end. On 23, Fitzpatrick went up the left and into the area but was just unable to provide an appropriate finish, and again Waters was denied a shot on target as Halliday blocked his shot 20 yards out. Dunston were smouldering with the odd spark but were unable to fully fan the flames but not for want of trying as on 28 Fitzpatrick played a cross from the right just too far ahead of Rundle, on 31, McArdle tried a shot from 20 yards but it went wide.


On 34, Fitzpatrick beat the offside and progressed up the left to the box, Gladstone came out to close the distance and literally pulled Fitzpatrick to the ground, the referee gave a free kick and a caution! From the Rundle free kick, Thear saw his header at the back post deflected for a corner.


From the corner Gladstone failed to punch clear and but for a slip by Burrell which saw his shot go wide. Dunston continued to press and on 39, Rundle played out to Stafford whose shot went wide.


On 43, Thear was found in the box his shot from 15 yards slammed into the side netting. As the game approached the interval Thear forced a corner taken by Rundle, Burrell Rose highest only for his header to strike the cross bar and go over.

Half Time Score: Dunston UTS 1-0 Washington.

Obviously words were raised in both dressing rooms and the teams came out pumped up for action, however it was not until the 50 minute when a chance fell to Fitzpatrick as he was played in on goal with only Gladstone to beat, the keeper this time read the move and saved with his feet, and then recovered as Heslop picked up the loose ball to prevent another Dunston goal. On 53 Thear got into the box and pulled a ball back to Rundle whose shot was saved by Gladstone. 5 minutes later a ball into Jones at the back post was played across the box and again Gladstone saved from a Fitzpatrick shot from 6 yards.


Dunston were still pressing and on 62, Burrell received on the edge of the box, moving quickly sideways he made space to fire a shot past Gladstone into the bottom left hand corner of the goal to make it 2-0. On 69, it looked all over for

Washington as Thear was played out onto the left byline, rushing out Gladstone again pulled Thear down giving the referee no option to award a free kick and second caution to Gladstone whose place was taken by Sands.


A man short Washington were trying to reorganise but Dunston were pushing on with Jones and Heslop going close. On 75, Heslop increased the lead as he placed a 20 yard shot past a packed box into the net. Washington replied as Waters attacked the Dunston area but Halliday cleared his cross for a corner.


On 81, Fitzpatrick chased a long Halliday ball into the box this time he rounded the keeper and slipped the ball into the empty net for Dunston's fourth. With his first touch coming on as substitute, Lowther almost scored as his shot from 8 yards was cleared off the line, however Dunston 's fifth was on ly two minutes later as Burrell received and turned in the box and shot into the net from 8 yards out.


Dunston continued to press and Elliott, Lowther and Heslop saw their efforts denied by the stand in keeper.

Full Time Score Dunston UTS 5 - 0 Washington

Although Dunston were not firing on all cylinders for most of the game their efforts were enough to subdue a challenging Washington side, however after the dismissal of their goal keeper Dunston applied the killer punches to make sure of their progression into the next round of the Vase.

Dunston's Man of the Match: Ben Pollock. Ben's author active approach and denied the Washington forwards the impetus to really trouble the Dunston goal, breaking up moves and providing the ball for the midfielders to put pressure on the Washington defence who were continually pressed by the Dunston forwards.

Dunston's next game - Wednesday 27th September away to Stockton
Town 7:45 pm KO in league

Dunston's next home game - Saturday 30th September against Jarrow
Roofing 3:00 KO in leagues