9th September 2017
FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round
Attendance 215
0 - 1
  Barnoldswick Town v Dunston UTS  
      Heslop 32 mins  

  Dunston battle to win in Vase...

Dunston travelled again to Lancashire this time to play Barnoldswick Town
in the FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round, Dunston were looking to avenge the defeat at Barnoldswick in the FA Cup game 3 weeks ago.

Dunston were
fielding the same team that beat Ryhope CW last Tuesday by 3-0 which include Pollock and Fitzpatrick from the previous cup tie. Barnoldswick had made 4 changes to the side that played 3 weeks ago, mainly to the forward running players and also at right back. The pitch had passed an assessment after the heavy overnight rain, the surface was wet but not enough to call the game off.

Barnoldswick Town King, Yates, Crockney, Lloyd, Hodgkinson, Airey,
Malia, Cavsnnagh (Hill 80), Wood (Threllfell 65), Thompson, Dale (Hollinder 86). Subs not used: Overson, Blades

Dunston UTS: Grant, Elliott, Halliday,
Stafford, Pollock, Hall, Thear L (Anderson 86), Burrell, Fitzpatrick, Heslop, Martin.
Subs not used: Lowther, Harrison,
Jones, Thear K.

Both sides were cautious of the conditions for the first few minutes and
Dunston were first to fall foul as Halliday was pulled
up for a sliding
challenge, harsh under the circumstances, the free kick by Thompson was cleared by Pollock. The conditions were causing both sides to change their passing games and on 12 Dunston got their first chance as he was put through and his touch gave him space, but a timely challenge by Yates saw the ball go behind for a corner. A minute later Thear saw his shot deflected again for a corner.

On 18, Cavanagh tried a shot from 25 yards
for it to be deflected and balloon in the air and collected by Grant. Two minutes later Malia played a deep cross into the box which was cleared by Elliott. Within a minute Dale tried another long distance
shot which went
over the bar. Barnoldswick imposed a lot of pressure for a period of time but the Dunston defence held solid and restricted chances to shoot on goal, on 32 Dunston broke and after an interchange of passes between Thear and Fitzpatrick gave Thear the space to pick out Heslop 15 yards out in the box, Heslop accepted the chance and drove a shot
low into the
bottom right corner of the net past a diving King. 1-0 to Dunston.

seemed to settle after taking the lead and on 37 a Burrell free kick was played to Stafford whose drive from 30 yards hit Fitzpatrick who had strayed slightly offside. Barnoldswick retaliated with a Thompson shot being deflected off target and a minute later Dale drove a hard cross the goal area and Grant made a tidy interception to relieve the danger. Just on half time Heslop, 4 yards out, headed goalwards from a Martin free kick to the back post, this time King was alert and saved on his line.

Half Time Score Barnoldswick Town 0 Dunston UTS

The second half started in bright sunshine with black clouds looming in the
background. Barnoldswick got the first chance on 49 when Lloyd shot just wide from 20 yards out after Grant had punched clear from a corner. Dunston were still retaliating
and on 51, Fitzpatrick saw his shot blocked
after Thear played him in. On 55 a determined run by Martin, ended with a shot which King saved. Back came Barnoldwick on 62 as Lloyd again shot wide of the target from 24 yards. On 66, Crocken applied a header to cross to the back post which went just wide of the target.

Four minute later,
Malia drove a cross from the right which went straight through and past the far post. With the heavens opening Dunston almost got a second as Heslop could not direct any power to his shot at the back post to a cross by Elliott and King was on hand to save. On 76, Thear turned in the box and shoot on target but it was deflected wide for a corner, from the corner Hall rose to head just over the cross bar. In a hard fought cup tie Barnoldswick almost got an equaliser as Grant had to save from a 30 yard shot by Yates.

The game was going from end to end with both defences
having the upper hand. On 87, Grant was able to collect a cross from Hill after Thompson just failed to apply a header. Meanwhile a minute later it was Martin who saw his shot from 18 yards saved by King. In a tense period of 3 minutes added on time Barnoldswick tried hard to get an equaliser but the closest they got was a deep cross into the area collected high by Grant who collected a knock in the process which needed treatment.

Full Time Score: Barnoldswick Town 0 Dunston UTS 1
As expected Barnoldswick were not going to be an easy team to beat but a high power work rate game from Dunston was good enough to claim the result, it was not pretty but it was effective and a great defensive display by Dunston restricting Barnoldswick to very few chances except from long range.

Dunston's Man of the Match: Dan Halliday, it could have been anybody
but for me Dan Halliday stood out as his headed clearances and strong challenges showed his side the way especially after he received a knock to his back early in the game.

Referee.. Gareth Myers.

  Dan Halliday, Man of the match  

Dunston have now got a home tie against Washington on 23 September
2017 in their attempt to progress in the FAVase.

Next Home game v Bishop Auckland in the Durham C
hallenge Cup on 12 September 2017 7:30 PM KO.