Dunston UTS v Burscough FC
FA Vase Round 1
21st October 2017
Att 182

Report By T.C.

Last gasp winner in Vase by Thear and then….


Dunston were back in FA Vase action and welcomed Burscough who travelled from just North of Liverpool and play in the North West  Counties League Premier Division and come refreshed from. 3-0 victory in midweek. Dunston were again struggling with injuries losing Kelvin Thear with ankle injury from Tuesday nights superb 1-1 draw away to Sunderland RCA, thanks to a superb strike early in the game by Liam Thear. Chris Allan a recent loan signing from Sunderland U23's is also unable to play as the rules of the competition state.

Dunston UTS: Harrison, Elliott, Halliday, Stafford, Pollock, Hall, Anderson, Heslop, Fitzpatrick, Thear L, Rundle.

Subs not Used: Hiftle, Grant, Jones, Thear K, Swailes.

Burscough: Samberg, Dunroe, Clark, Stanley (Threlfield 63), Hamzat,  O'Brien, Expolo (O'Callaghan 80), Henerty, Diggle, Hulme, Cummings. Subs not Used: Smith P, Smith E.

The game started expect fully as both sides tried to get supremacy and Dunston gradually got the first chances as Heslop played a low cross right across the face of the goal on 6 minutes, then on 8, Elliott laid back to Heslop who fired in another cross, this time Samberg was able to collecton his goal line. A minute later Rundle also played a cross in from

the left which was cleared. Burscough replied getting the ball into the Dunston area only for it to be cleared by Hall. Dunston continues to press and were surprised to go a goal down on 16 as Cummings dribbled across the Dunston area past 2 challenges creating some space to play a low shot across and past Harrison into the bottom corner of the net.


v Burscough FC 


Stuttering for a short time Burscough almost got another on 20, as the defence failed to clear and allowed Expolo

through however Harrison was alert and blocked Expolo shot and the danger was averted. Dunston settled again and

on 22, Elliott played in a cross which Samberg did well to punch clear. On 24 from Dunroe free kick which Diggle headed

wide. Dunston recovering saw Thear miss a real chance on 27, as Rundle played a cross into the centre of the goal. 3 minutes later Anderson fired in a shot from 20 yards and Samberg saved well.


Burscough replied on 31, as Diggle tried a shot from 30 yards forcing Harrison to make a save. On 35, played another

low cross right across the goal, but no Dunston player was able to apply the final touch.


Dunston almost got their equaliser on 42 as Fitzpatrick chased a through ball towards the penalty area, Samberg was was swiftly out and his clearance struck his own player and headed goalwards, fortunately for Burscough it went wide of

the near post for a corner. From the corner Rundle played it firmly and only 2 yards off the line, Fitzpatrick played a

glancing header which hit the cross bar and was cleared. Just on half time Burscough had another chance as Diggle fired

a shot from 18 yards out just wide of the post.

Half Time Score: Dunston UTS 0 Burscough 1

Dunston came out on fire in the second half on 47, Rundle played in a low cross which was cleared, on 48, Fitzpatrick

chased a ball into the box only to be denied by the advancing Samberg who collected well. On 49, Fitzpatrick turned on a

ball in the box and his shot from 12 yards was deflected for a corner. From the corner Pollock got in a header which Samberg somehow pushed over the bar single handedly. On 50, Dunston got their equaliser from another corner which was not cleared and fell to Hall 7 yards out, Hall fired in a powerful shot which was deflected high into the net amidst great relief from all of Dunston.


v Burscough FC 


On 51, Fitzpatrick saw another powerful shot blocked and Dunston were continuing the siege on the Burscough defence.

On 53, Thear saw his effort saved by Samberg, then Heslop fired a shot straight into Samberg's arms before Halliday

fireda 25 yard shot over the bar. On 62, Stafford fired in a cross which evaded Fitzpatrick and Rundle only had to touch

at the back post to score, but the chance went begging. A minute later, Fitzpatrick tried a lob over Samberg but saw his

effort go just over the cross bar. On 67, Rundle pulled a ball back to Thear whose 25 yard shot went wide of the post.


A minute later, Thear saw his 30 yard shot skilled by the keeper who was able to recover and collect. Burscough were still dangerous on the break and on 74, Diggle almost got a goal beating Harrison following a through ball, but fortunately for Dunston he was adjudged offside.


On 81, Halliday played a low cross into the Burscough area and Samberg collected low at the front post. On 84, Rundle

fired in a corner that Fitzpatrick headed just over the bar. A minute later Hall tried a back heel shot from 3 yards only for Samberg to block and clear his goal line. As the game looked like going into extra time Hall played in a cross that evaded all in the penalty area and went just past the far post. 1 minute into added time Thear turned and shot from 12 yards and the ball went just wide of the far top corner of the goal.


A minute later, Thear again turned and shot from 15 yards, the ball this time was on target and entered the net off the

cross bar and the Dunston side celebrated their lead. In the third minute of added time and in a last ditch effort Henerty travelled into the Dunston area and but for a last minute perfectly sliding challenge by Pollock he would have had a clear shot on goal and possible equaliser. The referee thankfully blew the final wishes to start the Dunston celebration for progressing to the next round.

Full Time Score: Dunston UTS 2 Burscough 1


v Burscough FC 

Dunston started well and their hopes took a setback as Burscough scored against the run of play, after a mini recovery period when they could have lost another goal they recovered to pressurise the Burscough goal. It looked like the luck was going to fail them until a Michael Hall rocket shot was deflected high into the net, still it looked as though they were going to have to go into extra time but their spirit continued and fortune was on their side as Thear fired in a firm unstoppable shot off the cross bar for what appeared the winner. Burscough and Hanerty had different ideas and only a perfectly timed challenge by Pollock prevented them from scoring. This result was hard earned by a persistent side who did not give in even in the teeming rain which made the pitch slippery for both sides.

Dunston's Man of the Match: Callum Elliott: Callum made some crucial interceptions and played a major role in setting up crosses from the right wing, working well with Anderson who also put in a great deal of effort. The overall team performance was a continuation from their last game with Fitzpatrick and Heslop making themselves available up front, while Hall and Pollock were once again solid at the back and in the opposition box at set plays.


Match Pictures

Dunston's next home game: v Newcastle Benfield 28 October 2017 3:00 KO