Friday 28 July 2017

Dunston UTS 

Heaton Stannington  3 2


Dunston continue their preseason with another home friendly game against ENL Second Division side Heaton Stannington. Dunston are again forced to make changes with players injured or unavailable, so manager Chris Swailes has to test his available forwards.


Starting Line ups:

Dunston UTS: Aiden Grant, Michael Pearson, Dan Halliday, Richie Slaughter, Carl Jones, Michael Hall, Adam Rundle,

Dale Burrell, Mark Fitzpatrick, Jake Stafford, Liam Thear. Subs Callum Elliott (repl Pearson 53), Ross Logan, Jak Ashton (repl Halliday 75), Dan Capewell (repl Jones 75), Ryan Drane (repl Rundle 75), Steven Anderson (repl Thear 53) Harry

Wood (repl Fitzpatrick 75).

Heaton Stannington: Smith, Watchman (Deagle 16), Stoddart, Imray, Wear, Chapman, McCarthy, McKenna (Yates 59, Robinson (Hoggins 65) Subs: All used


Dunston started eagerly and put pressure on the Heaton defence and on 3 minutes, Burrell broke through with only keeper Smith to beat, smith was bravely out to save at Burrells feet. On 7, Rundle shot wide of the far post after

Fitzpatrick laid a ball off on the edge of the box, 3 minutes later Pearson had a 25-yard shot stopped by the goalkeeper. Heaton eased into the game and on 11, Jones tried a shot from 30 yards that went wide.


Dunston continued to push on and Stafford shot wide from 30 yards out, and 5 minutes later Fitzpatrick collected on the edge of the box but his shot went wide.


On 25, Stafford crossed into the goal area and Thear turned his header just over the bar. Again on 30, Rundle saw his free kick from 30 yard go over the bar. Heaton enjoyed a spell of play and on 31, Grant ad to be smartly out to prevent

Jones from scoring after he had been played into the box, on 36, Robinson tried to slide a shot past Grant but he was equal to the effort and saved.


On 40, Heaton gained a free kick wide on the left; the ball was played into the back post where Chapman applied a looping header over Grant and into the Top corner of the Dunson net for the opening goal. Shaken Dunston immediately replied and after Fitzpatrick was tripped in the penalty area; Dale Burrell smartly fired the ball into the net for the equaliser after 43 minutes.


Dunston were startled on 47 after Robinson outstripped the defence on the halfway line and slipped a shot from 20 yards

past the advancing Grant to put the visitors ahead. Dunston tried to reply on 49 when Thear fired into the side netting from

8-yards out, again on 54, Burrell tried a shot that was deflected wide for a corner, and a minute later slaughter shot across

the goal from 22-yards out.


On 56, Stafford met a Thear free kick only to see his effort strike the cross bar and go over. On 59, Yates played a ball

across the Dunston area and found Chapman who fired a low shot from 20-yards into the bottom corner of the net to

increase Heaton’s lead to 3-1. Dunston continued to attack and on 64 Anderson saw his effort go across the Heaton goal

and wide of the post. Two minutes later Anderson travelled into the penalty area and was fouled, again Burrell struck the penalty kick firmly past Smith to reduce the arrears.


Dunston had only two more chances to equalise as on 81 Burrell saw his 30-yard effort go over the bar and on 85 Stafford could only direct his header, from an Elliott ball into the back post, into the side netting


This was not a good Dunston performance and although they had the beating of their opponents, it would seem that they

had left their shooting boots at home as Smith in the Heaton goal was rarely tested.


Defensively Dunston lacked concentration at times, allowed the Heaton forwards space on their breaks, and gave Grant a

few hairy moments during the game.


Match pictures


Next Home Game – ENFL League Div. 1.  Tuesday 8th August Dunston UTS v Shildon with a 7:30 KO

Next Game:  FA Cup away to Washington Saturday 5th August 2017 3:00 KO



Dunston UTS  0

Spennymoor Town  2

Tuesday 25 July 2017

Pre-season friendly


Dunston continue their pre-season with a friendly game against Spennymoor Town. The Dunston side is evolving after

Defeats to Hartlepool United and Gateshead and a 1-1 draw against Whickham before last week’s 3-1 victory away to

Birtley Town and tonight’s game is another test from a higher level team. Dunston have again some new faces in their

squad for the game tonight as manager Chris Swailes continues to build his squad for the beginning of the Northern League season.


The game started strongly with Dunston almost took the lead on 2 minutes as Steven Anderson had a header  blocked by his challenging defender from 6 yards only for Orrell to fire wide of the far post on 3 minutes at the other end. Dunston immediately replied with Hall header at the back post, which went just wide of the far post. Play settled into a possession game as Spennymoor ruled from the back but efforts to create opportunities were limited by a steady Dunston defence.


On 15, Dowson got space in the Dunston area and fired in a shot from 6 yards that Grant somehow managed to scoop over the bar. On 19, Burrell tried a lofted chip shot, from 22 yards, that went wide. On 28, another Anderson shot was blocked after Thear had pinched the ball as Spennymoor tried to clear their box.


Spennymoor continued to test Dunston and on 40 minutes Dowson was found unmarked on the edge of the box he

collected a pass and turned and fired in a low shot past the advancing Grant for the opening goal. A minute later Burrell was testing Porter with a fierce shot from 22 yards, which Porter stopped and then collected.


In the 55th Minute Dunston’s Fitzpatrick fired in a shot from the right edge of the box only for Porter to stop and collect safely, and again on 60 Stafford fired a shot from 20 yards out over the bar. The game settled again with Spennymoor

playing some good possession football and again the Dunston side was working hard to limit opportunities.


On 66, Foley tried a volleyed shot from 6 yards out, just wide of the far post. In a short spell of Spennymoor pressure, they scored their second goal as Hall found space on the right and was able to fire a low shot past Grant and into the net. On 74, Foley again fired a shot over the Dunston cross bar from 25 yards out.

Dunston right wing gave an opportunity for a shot that was blocked and rebounded to Stafford, who lofted a shot over the Spennymoor bar. A minute later Woods again collected in the area and his shot from 8 yards was deflected for a corner. 

A flicked shot by Stafford was denied a goal on 85 as Porter saved, within a minute Dunston were denied a penalty call as Curtis slid into a tackle and handled the ball. On 88, Foley Hall fired in a fierce shot past Grant, that rebounded strongly off the post before being cleared.

Once again, Dunston could have pride in their performance playing against a stronger side from a higher-level league and although they were beaten, they showed their areas of concern for manger Chris Swales to work on. 


Dunston UTS: Aiden Grant, Callum Elliott, Dan Halliday, Jiri Dobes, Carl Jones, Michael Hall, Liam Thear, Dale Burrell,

Mark Fitzpatrick, Jake Stafford, Steven Anderson. Subs Michael Pearson (repl Liam Thear 61), Ross Logan, Scott Heslop (repl Mark Fitzpatrick 61), Harry Wood (rep Anderson 50), Lewis Robson (repl Halliday 75).


Spennymoor Town: Porter, Griffiths, Mason, Chandler, Chantler, Curtis, Orrell, Henry, Dowson, Johnson, Anderson (M) Subs: Tait (repl Dowson 65), Dixon, (repl Chandler 45), Hall (repl Mason 57), Taylor (repl Orrell 53), Foley (repl Anderson 57), Trialist (repl Johnson 80).

Next Game - Friendly No 6.  Friday 28 July Dunston UTS v Heaton Stannington with a 7:30 KO 


Dunston UTS 0

Hartlepool United 7

Wednesday 12th July 2017



Dunston continue their start to the season with their second friendly game against Hartlepool United. Dunston have again some new faces in their squad for the game tonight as manager Chris Swales continues to build his squad for the

beginning of the Northern League season.


Starting Line ups:

Dunston UTS: Aiden Grant, Callum Elliott, Ryan Drane, Dan Halliday, Richie Slaughter, Carl Jones, Michael Hall, Dan Halliday, Dale Burrell, Scott Heslop, Liam Thear, Steven Anderson. Subs Mark Fitzpatrick, (replaced S Heslop 63), Michael Pearson (repl C Jones 14), Jiri Dobes (repl S Anderson 45), Jak Ashton (repl D Halliday 54).


Hartlepool United:

First Half – Scott, Magnay, Adams, Harrison, Laing, Deverdics, Donaldson, Woods, Amond, Munns (replaced by Travers 30), Oates.  Second Half - after 60 mins – Scott, Richardson, Donnelly, Nearny, Graham, George, Hawkes, Smith, Cassidy, Hawkins, Mondial.


Hartlepool started strong putting pressure on the Dunston defence immediately and showing their intent for the rest of the game and on 7 minutes, Oates fired in a loose ball in the Dunson goal area to score the opening goal. A good run on the left wing by Adams saw a neat interchange of passes before he fired in a low shot into the net. Play continued with Dunston trying hard to put their impression on the game but a strong resolute Pools’ defence denied them any opportunities.


On 30, an opportunist shot from 45 yards out by Munns, after spotting that Grant was off his line, saw the ball go over Grants’ head and into the open net for the third goal. Travers replaced Munns and on 36, he was on hand to head powerfully home a Hartlepool corner from 7 yards out making the score 4-0. Dunston were almost able to reply on 39 as Anderson headed down towards Heslop but Loach was quickly out to smother the ball before Heslop could get his shot in.


The second have progressed and on 52, Burrell tried a 25-yard shot that went over the bar. On 60 minutes, Hartlepool replaced their whole side, introducing a fresh side to further test the Dunston resolve. Five minutes later a tricky run resulted in Mondial attacking Pearson in the box resulting in a trip on Mondial for a penalty that Mondial placed in the bottom corner of the net for 5-0 to Hartlepool. Dunston continued to battle and get something out of the game; however, it was Hartlepool who extended their lead to 6-0 after 70, as Hawkes fired a shot, from 12 yards out, past a helpless Grant.


Dunston had a period of chances as first Slaughter fired a free kick past the Pools’ far post and then Fitzpatrick tried a volley from 10-yards only to see it go over the bar at the far post. After 82, Cassidy was on hand to force home a ball from 2-yards after the ball fell loose in the goal area to score Hartlepool’s final goal of the game and a score of 7-0. On 85, Fitzpatrick almost scored as he tried an outside of the foot chip from 18-yards only to see it pass the far post.


The Dunston side to their credit continued to try against a very strong Hartlepool squad, although chances were minimised.


6th July 2017
Dunston UTS 0
Gateshead 1
Attendance 390

Dunston start their season with an opening Friendly Game against local neighbours Gateshead. Dunston have introduced a number of new squad members after Chris Swales has rebuilt his squad from last season, they also introduce a new Physio and Goalkeeper Coach.


Starting Line ups:

Dunston UTS: Aiden Grant, Michael Pearson, Dan Halliday, Richie Slaughter, Carl Jones, Michael Hall, Ryan Drane, Mark Fitzpatrick, Scott Heslop, Dale Burrell, Adam Rundle. Subs James Martin (replaced R Drane 45), Graeme Pickering (repl A Grant 67), Callum Elliott (repl M Pearson 45), Jiri Dobes (repl A Rundle 60), Jak Ashton (repl D Halliday 45), Ricky Fenwick (repl S Heslop 73).



First Half - Montgomery, Vassell, Barrow, Horsfall, Burns, Fyfield, Tinkler, Green, Burrow, Langstaff, Mclaughlin.

Second Half - Hanford, York, O'Donnell, Bolton, Byrne, Penn, White, Mellish, Peniket, Preston, Hannant.


The pitch was looking green and slick and inviting a good football and the teams did not disappoint. In the first quarter of the game, Dunston gave their own and could have taken a lead on 9 minutes as Fitzpatrick played Heslop into the box, but his effort from 15 yards went over the bar. Gradually the skill and full time training of the Gateshead side came through against a Dunston side who valiantly battled to stay in the game as new keeper, Aiden Grant in the Dunston goal was called on to make some saves, especially on 13 minutes as Burrow shot from 6 yards, diving to push the ball wide.


Gateshead had several attempts and the Dunston back four were eagerly working to protect their goal. On 26, Langstaff received a ball in the Dunston box; he had time to steady himself before shooting into the far bottom corner of the Dunston goal, giving Gateshead an expected lead. Dunston rallied and tested a resolute Gateshead back four who blocked attempts on several occasions.


In the second half after a total Gateshead change of side and three changes for Dunston, it took a short while for Gateshead to get back into stride. On 48, Dunston's new signing Adam Rundle put in a shot from 25 yards that Hanford collected. As the Gateshead side steadied and Dunston started to tire Gateshead controlled most of the play creating several long-range opportunities, restricted by the Dunston defence, that were mainly wide of the target or saved by the Dunston keepers.


Pickering replaced Grant in the Dunston goal after just over the hour and he had to make some fine saves as Gateshead tested the Dunston defence. The game ended 1-0 to Gateshead, despite Gateshead having the better chances to score and both sides had good runouts giving both managers something to think about as the new season approaches. The new players for Dunson seemed to settle in well and gave creditable performances.



Match Pictures can be vIewed HERE